Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should be in my tool box?

Default What should be in my tool box?

Okay, I just got a new tool chest that is looking really empty and I’m hoping to get it as well stocked and organized as feasible before my kit arrives.
    I have seen the “Kitfox Builders Tool Kit” list of hard to find tools. But what other general hand tools, clamps, handy do-dads or whatever, would you experienced Kitfox builders recommend?
    What range of wrench sizes and types are needed? How many of “this or that” is handy to have on hand? I am also assuming that anything on the Rotax is metric.
    Only 2 ½ months until the fun begins…
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Default Re: What should be in my tool box?

OK I'll start this.

Yes you will need the metric tools but you will also need SAE wrenches for all the AN nuts and bolts on the airframe.

Beyond that, if you have the Builder's Manual, read it and make note of the tools you'll need for each operation. When I began building my kit I already had a pretty complete set of tools. But I didn't have everything. By reading the manual I determined that there were a few tools that I needed to purchase immediately and a list of tools for future purchase. As an example I will not require a good crimper until I start wiring the panel. No sense in buying it now.

I saw your question so went out in the shop to look in my tool box and see what jumps out at me as must have.

Clecos. Get twice as many of each size as recommended for your kit. They're inexpensive.
    A smart level. It will save you hundreds of hours with the rigging.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Lots of clamps also. Inexpensive spring clamps for holding pieces in place while bonding sets up like in the tail and wing false ribs. # 30 and #40 drill bits. Went through a few of those. A+ to clecos. Long straight edge was handy for laying out long fabric tape lines. Those cone shaped universal drill bits were handy. Reamers are a must but may be in the builders tool kit you mentioned. Chalk/string box was very handy for laying out fabric.
    Hand pop-rivit gun. De-burring hand tool with extra blades.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

By no means an unabridged list, but some items I haven't seen listed yet and we found useful.

Set of numbered bits.
    Reamers are great, as long as the bolts going through the holes are the correct size. On more than one occasion (read many times) we found that a bolt was .0008" (or even less) larger than the reamed hole. This cost us MANY hours until we got smart and got a numbered drill bit set.
    Pneumatic Riveter
    Pulling stainless steel rivets w/a hand riveter is a lot of no fun.
    6" Digital Calipers

IR Thermometer
    Not required, but much faster and easier for calibrating iron and often is on sale at Harbor Freight for $30

nets get real here. plastic wire ties and duct tape are high on my list, cross screwdriver, flat screwdrive, I use the stubby ones for space. small pair of vice grips and a size 10, 11, 3/8 box wrenches. side cutters. small crecent wrench. pretty much it for me.
    Last edited by Slyfox; 02-11-2011 at 03:50 PM.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

I agree with what has been posted - pretty good list. I really like the idea of buying as you go - you learn what you need and don't need

Some items that I found very useful although not necessarily of the hand too category included:

A band saw for cutting aluminum and wood parts - really speeds up the process compared to a hand shears and file

A combination bench disk/belt sander - very useful for shaping and finishing aluminum parts, wood parts and some of the fiberglass parts

A cordless electric varispeed reversible drill for just about everything from drilling to reaming to sanding certain parts like edges of fiberglass

A drill press

Sincerely,

Dave S

are we talking on the airplane or in the shop.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Sly, I think he is talking about the shop, stuff for building. I was about to be impressed that you built your plane with a few screwdrivers and some duct tape
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Ah, we are talking in the shop. oops. in that case A nice quiet compressor would be up on the list for me. sabre saw, yup like that one to. I've made many a parts with that item. electric drill with many 30 and 40 size drills.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop