Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Advice on assembling a kitfox

Lightbulb Advice on assembling a kitfox

I am looking at purchasing a kit plane. I want a super sport because of the load capacity and I thought it would be better for the backwoods camping/ fishing trips.
    So my question is just how hard is it to take on a project like this mechanically? I am a good mechanic but have no experience with aircraft and how do I decide what power plant to purchase? The Rotax 582 and 912 seem great from what I've read and Jabaru . If anyone has any advice or tips for beginners please let me know. Also if anyone lives near Fresno CA, I would like to meet up with an owner and talk thanks for your time.

Default Re: Advice on assembling a kitfox

Tripman,
    Anyone with basic shade tree type mechanical skill should have no trouble completing the Kitfox. The instructions are clear and very thorough. As you have deduced, there is lots of help on this and other sites to guide you along.

The project is fun and therapeutic. Be aware it is a commitment. Expect it to take 1 to 2 years. I've been building at a leisurely pace for 7 months and I estimate I have about 6 months to go. I'm retired so the clock on the wall has no meaningful numbers.

You'll need basic shop tools and may need to sublet some items if you don't have the the ability to make some things. A drill press is pretty much mandatory. A stationary belt / disc sander is also a must. If you have a mill you can turn out some nice looking parts, but you can complete the Kitfox with not much more than a small box of tools, drill, hacksaw, and a few files.

If you would like to know more before buying a kit, order the construction manual. You can read through and see just what it takes and how hard or easy the tasks will be.

I would suggest you join EAA for additional help with the nuances of registering a home built aircraft as well as technical support. You’ll find an active EAA Chapter in Fresno.

As for the engine, if you’ve never built an aircraft and are not too certain about engine choices, then go with the Rotax 912. You will have the easiest time assembling the aircraft and actually completing the project. Kitfox has a very complete package available for the engine and firewall forward.

I say this as one who is installing a non-supported engine. It is fun engineering all the details, but not recommended for anyone who is timid about their mechanical abilities. So go with the flow and put in the Rotax 912. Your resale value will be higher as buyers expect to see it in the Kitfox, no surprises.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, TX
    Last edited by jtpitkin06; 02-01-2011 at 06:55 AM.

Default Re: Advice on assembling a kitfox

Well said John, I agree, it is a lot of work but not necessarily hard and for me mostly enjoyable (there where a few frustrating moments). I chose the 912S because that was not part of the plane I wanted to experiment with and it is known to perform well (and does). Also take the time to go through all the photo albums on this site (if you haven't already) they will give you a bunch of insight into the process.

My general advice is build if you love to build, if your primary motivation is flying then there are cheaper faster options.

With that said I think you will find most here will describe building and flying your own plane an immensely satisfying experience
    Last edited by Dorsal; 02-01-2011 at 04:23 AM.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive