Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: carb rebuild

Default carb rebuild

The rotax 912 that I have has basically sat since 2003 with 17 hours on it. It appears that when it was taken off the airframe, the carbs where cleaned because when I pulled the bowls, everything looks like brand new. Now that I have it put back together the engine runs very good. However, I am still thinking about doing a carb rebuild just because of the amount of time that has gone by. Any opinions on this? If a rebuild is recommended, does anyone have any suggestions on where to get reasonably priced rebuild kits? I almost hate to mess with the carbs since it runs so good.

Default Re: carb rebuild

My 912s sat for ~10 years, did not rebuild the carbs (did do a total teardown and cleaning due to BSS). 75 hours running great, not sure why you want to rebuild?
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

the 912 i have was new in 1993 and sat until 2009 when it was started for the first time . i have almost 250 hrs now and it has been running good with no problems .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

I was not real sure about the time limits on the rubber parts inside the carb. I replaced every other piece of rubber on the engine, o-rings, hoses, etc. I am of the same opinion about "if it ain't broke, don't mess with it" theory to a point. I don't guess a carb in need of a rebuild would cause an in flight failure? I will be doing alot taxi runs so I would think that if there is a problem it would surface. Hopefully.

i do have plans to replace the carb sockets due to age , not that ive had a problem . id rather not have to deal with one thats cracked when im out somewhere .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

i did read somewhere the time limits on hoses and such . it had to have been one of the rotax maint manuals . i think it was 5 years but not sure .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

A lot of the BMW motercylyes used the Bing 64 carbs, If you look at the Bing website they list aircraft and motercyles in different sections. I know they quoted me about $430 for a complete rebuild kit for 2 carbs for my 912. I wonder how much difference there is between the aircraft and motercyle rebuild kits. There's a cycle outfit selling Bing carb parts on ebay, I ordered the gasket/diaphram kit for 2 carbs for $41.95 shipping included from them. Rotax price on the indivigual diaphrams is $71.65 each... OUCH! I'm not sure if the parts I'm getting will work, but they are Bing parts and I'll find out when I get them if they fit or not. Take care, Jim Chuk

Definately let me know if the Bing parts off Ebay work. Rotax is very frustrating with the prices. I replaced every o-ring on the engine before installing just due to the age of the rubber. Rotax parts would have cost over $130 just for o-rings! I matched them up to o-rings from Maryland Metrics and bought all but 2 for $19.00 shipped. They have a minimun order so I quadrupled it just to get close the minimum. So now I have plenty of spares.