Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm new & need High Alt per. WHat config ?

Default Re: I'm new & need High Alt per. WHat config ?

Hello War Eagle...(nice handle) ( I'm White Mountain Apache from the Eagle Clan with the family name Quesada)

I have been readin with interest these threads:
    http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=754
    http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/sho...ighlight=turbo

THEN I was thrown a curve!!!

I am very interested in this Fuel Injected 130 hp 173 lb $23K powerplant.

I have a 1972 K5 Chevy Blazer that I installed a 2003 LQ9 Escalade engine into...the turn the key, and go...works every time. No points, no carb adjust, no mixture, no timing to adjust. THAT is modern. I just can't go backward. I get 20 mpg IN TOWN with the 700R4 tranny.

So this UL350i is veeeery exciting and inviting.
    No geared prop. and no 5000 rpm and 1500 hr TBO
    I'm being fussy I realize....but it will accomplish the mission.

If I fly a 900 lb Kitfox at DA 10000, and I can get a solid 80 HP...I think thats huge performance. ( while meeting all my fuss-list items )
    How much does a 914 sell for?

take care,
    Marty

This is the way I'm leaning...

HKS 700T, fuel injected

http://www.greenskyadventures.com/En...-912Rotax.html

According to their numbers it out performs the 912ul 80hp all the time and it even out performs the 912uls 100hp from 7000' density alt and up. You can also use a much larger prop than a direct drive which really is the best thing for a more draggy airplane like the kitfox. 130lbs ready to go. Sips 3-4 gallons an hour at cruise. Throw in an IVO in flight adjustable it would be a screamer on a model IV. On a SS it may be too light, but it's worth a look. I have a lot more faith in HKS as they are a very large company and have been around for a long time with what I see as a great reputation. The UL looks like a well designed engine, but atleast for me I think the inability to use a larger prop is the worst issue atleast for a kitfox.
    Last edited by Geowitz; 01-25-2011 at 12:30 PM.

The cost for a new 914 is in excess of $32k.

There is a used 914 for sale in the classified section of this forum for $20K.

You can buy a zero timed remaned 914 from Rotec (they are a Rotax dealer in Canada) for a more competitive price than a new 914. I am not sure what their current price is but a phone call to them could answer that question.

Just for the record the TBO on the 914 is currently rated at 2000 hours.

I belive it is true that the geared motor can turn a little larger diameter prop compared to non-geared motor of the same hp. The gear box multiplies the engine torque (not the hp) so a smaller hp engine could conceivably match the torque output of a higher hp non geared engine.

In my case, I swing an Airmaster Constant Speed (72 inch diameter 3 blade) prop.