Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Quick mods

Default Quick mods

So I finally put the fairings on my lift struts and low and behold got the ~12 mph increase that others on the group said I would get. I now get ~124 tas @ 5400, these are un-finished fairings just snapped on for some up coming trips. I also added the bully hawk soft start module, had the engine kick back twice in the last 70 hours, very unpleasant. The Soft Start was an easy install and appears to work well, Lockwood strongly recommends it for the 912S.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Default Re: Quick mods

D, what's the soft start module all about?

Thanks, Andrew
    NOKITFOXYET

Dorsal, nice speed increase but expected. The strut fairings give the best return on investment for drag reduction on a Kitfox.
    I've never tried the soft start set up yet. Looking forward to your report on starting ease improvement. Sounds like a good option.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

The soft start module retards the spark while starting significantly reducing the chance of kickback. I have only started three times with it but the engine smoothly comes to life instead of the more abrupt start without. The two times I experienced kick back it was fairly violent and I understand very hard on the sprag clutch. I felt $200 was a reasonable price to protect the investment in the engine, no idea how much it will actually matter in the long run.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Here's a great (but old) video that really drives home the wisdom of fairing the struts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftq8jTQ8ANE

Wow. What a great vid. The difference with the airfoil is HUGE!!
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Default Lift strut fairings

Dorsal
    How much speed increase do you expect when you finish the fairings or is finishing the fairings more of an esthetic issue. Any pics.?
    Are there other options to fairing the lift struts than the heavy plastic extrusions currently offered?
    Thanks
    Herman

I don't plan to finish these fairings and I would not expect any more speed if I did. As for options, the PVC units weigh a little over 3 lbs each and I don't know of other commercially available choices. I am in the process of making some carbon fiber ones that I expect to come in well under a pound. If I am successful at those I will finish them up all pretty in addition to making a mini set for the tail struts.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

I have the airfoil shaped horizonzal lift struts for the tail and jury struts for my Model 4 Speedster. I also have the farings from Murle Williams that smooth the airflow behind the gas caps and the covers for the wing lift strut attach points. Does anyone have any experience with these? James Thomas

Default Re: Lift strut fairings

Quote Originally Posted by herman pahls View Post
    Dorsal
    How much speed increase do you expect when you finish the fairings or is finishing the fairings more of an esthetic issue. Any pics.?
    Are there other options to fairing the lift struts than the heavy plastic extrusions currently offered?
    Thanks
    Herman
    If you are still interested in a pics of the "raw" fairings
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive