Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tires - Again

Default Re: Tires - Again

Being low pressure tires, the Nanco tires will leak at the bead if not mounted very cleanly. The slightest contamination, will result in bead leaks. I have them on my wheels, profesionally mounted and are fine. I have had problems in the past with bead leaks, however. The tires I used then had the label Nankang.

The Nanco tires are definitely not six ply.

Angry Re: Tires - Again

I looked - carefully - at my original 20X7.00-8 slick tires again today and notice that they are two ply and not marked with any load rating. I think the brake assembly would be ok with the 21X12-8 but these bigger tires might chaff on the original gear legs of my MK 3 as they are nearly double the width.

Still confused!

J

Soarhead-- There are so many of these tires (tyres? ) flying on Kitfoxes without report of chafing that I would not think there would be a problem for you.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Tire noobs question, i have the original 8" ( Pro-trak ) too and i read several owner suffer with leaking ? Perhaps a silly question but are they tubeless ?
    Because if we have tubes how can we have a leak ?

The original tires 20X7.00-8 slick were tubeless.

Ah OK i've got tubeless without knowing it !

As they keep air for a long time i can conclude that i and the previous owner didn't done too much hard landing ...

I've had a set of the Kingfox tires on my Avid, and have had problems with them leaking around the bead if I run less than 10 lbs of pressure in them. I ended up putting tubes in them. Did have a problem with that once also, one tube had the valve stem tear off after landing on pavement. Funny thng is the tire didn't go flat, but when I tried to air it up because it was lower than I wanted it to be, I couldn't. Ended up taking it apart and found the valve stem cut off. Before I put the tubes into the tires, I had tried to run Slime in them to stop the leaks. When the tube slid around, the slime kept it from leaking. I know this may seem hard to believe, if I hadn't seen it my self, I would doubt it if some one told me that it happened to them. As far as the tires hitting the landing gear, here are some pics of my Avid with the Kingfox tires. Plenty of room for the tires and the Kitfox gear are about the same as my Avid gear. Take care,
    Jim Chuk
    Avid MK IV (flying)
    Kitfox 4 (building)
    Northern Mn
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have had 21x12x8" tires on my Kitfox IV for years. I have had no issues with fitting around brakes or gear legs. Currently I am getting wheel skis made to fit under these wheels and needed to supply the manufacturer with actual measurements of the tires while on the plane. They measure 19.850x10.250x8".
    Pieter
    Kitox IV 1050
    582 70" IVO IFA

I will try and load some pic's of 21x12x8 tires on a Kitfox IV. I have only put air in these once since I bought them and that was when they were installed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pieter
    Kitox IV 1050
    582 70" IVO IFA

Smile Re: Tires - Again

Guys,

Thanks for all the responses to my initial question. It's been a very informative discussion and I really appreciate your experience and expertise.

Special thanks to 924549 for the excellent photos and dimensions when fitted. I will proceed with the 21X12-8 tires and see if I can locate them on this side of the pond.

Regards,

J