Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Winter Engine Covers...

Default Winter Engine Covers...

Looking for winter operations experience.
    I have a round cowl Kitfox IV with a 912s in it. Does anyone have a winter engine cover that they are happy with for winter ops? If so who made it and could I get a brief description or picture please. I am fairly picky about engine covers, having had a lot of experience with the good and the bad in Alaska. There is nothing owrse than an engine cover that is poorly designed.

Now I am not experienced at all with how a 912 airplane works in winter. Should we have a quick slip cover that goes over the radiator?

It is currently 0 degrees F here and I want to be able to sit out for about 3 hours without issue. I have seen some 912 installations that will start at something below 10, but mine gets really cranky about starting below 28 without preheating.

The snow is perfect and the temps are cold. I need to be out playing.

After all of that, if someone has a cover sitting in their hangar that came with their airplane, that they never plan to use, I'd buy it.

Thanks,
    Kelly

Default Re: Winter Engine Covers...

I made this cover last year. Complete with a carrying bag. I have contemplated making and selling them...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

That looks nice Larry!
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

So here is my solution (thanks to a very generous Santa Wife), not cheap but very effective. The heater is the Aerotherm Deuce with the cell activated switch. I can call the plane at any time and the heater will turn on, by the time I get there all is warm and toasty. The cover is a moving blanket purchased at Harbor Freight for $8 (a little velcro on the front seam is forthcoming). The red felt on the seats is to close out the back of the plane which keeps the cold air off my neck.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Thanks for the responses. I am looking for something a little more high tech. Those work great at home when prepping for a flight, but I am looking for something that would work when camping overnight in really cold temps. I currently have a nice packing blanket for prep at home and that is great but now I am looking for waterproof, wind proof, etc, etc.
    There are quite a few companies that make covers like this. Tanis and Kennon are two names, but I want one that is easy to put on and fits well. I was looking a satisfied customer to recommend one.

One thing to always keep in mind is quilting loses a lot of heat. The heat escapes right through the stitching. Its crazy.

A good engine cover by itself should hold a good starting temperature for 5 hours. We found that if you use blade covers on metal blades that time will go to 8 hours. That now means you can sleep through the night without having to get up at restart the engine and warm it up. The propeller is like a heatsync attached to the crankshaft at the middle of the heat. Our carbon props attached to a gearbox should not mean as much. All these little details mean a lot if your days are short and you can save the hour plus it takes to preheat in cold temps.

I know, I know, I am CRAZY. But I did warn you I am picky about covers. I get that way from exploring in really remote locations.

Thanks again,
    Kelly

Here is the cover my wife and I put togeather for my Avid. I had a big sleeping bag that I never use anymore that was sacrificed for a "greater good". I preheat the engine (Jabiru) with a heat gun on a stand through the cowl opening below the prop, that's why that part of the cover is open. 1/2 hr heating at +15 F and it's ready to run. Velcro keeps it in place. It works good so far. Take care,
    Jim Chuk
    Avid MK IV (flying)
    Kitfox 4 (building)
    northern Mn

Jim,
    Thanks so much. You guys did a great job!!!
    That is the plan that my wife and I are working towards. I just thought if there was an off the shelf option that we'd go that way. I might run down to Wal-Mart and see what they have in their lower temp bags. It seems the sales are already running pretty low. Thanks again.
    Kelly

Jim and Larry,
    Nice looking covers, kinda shaming me into doing a bit of fitting on my planes ugly dress . Using a form fit low temp sleeping bag seems brilliant for holding onto the heat as long as possible. Kelly, please post what you come up with.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Here's my preheat setup, with a detail of the heater itself.

I keep the battery on a tender to keep it "hot" too.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos