Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Mod 3 w/ Mod 4 Wings Questions

Default Mod 3 w/ Mod 4 Wings Questions

Hi Gang!

Wonderful forum here! I'm a long time reader and this is my first post. I've been evaluating different homebuilts for well over a year now and keep coming back to Kitfox. I grew up flying with my dad and uncle and I'm very close to getting my private's certificate. So naturally I'm getting an itch to build (as in finish!) a kit while I build up hours in a 172, get tailwheel experience, etc.

I'm looking at possibly purchasing an unfinished mod 3 kit with mod 4 wings and a grey head 582LC engine. So I have a few questions:

1. Any general impressions, issues, concerns of a mod 3 w/ mod 4 wings? Any issues mounting 4 wings to a 3 fuselage?

2. How does the grey head 582 compare to a blue head? I'm really only looking to get 3-400 hours out of it before switching to a 80 hp 912 or possibly an HKS.

3. The current owner said the gas tank is a behind-the-instrument-panel type with another wing tank on the right side. I'm not too keen about fuel in front of me but could live with it, but the boss says "no way!" So, has anyone swapped out a dash mounted tank for a wing tank? Any W/B issues or other concerns? I would greatly appreciate any info you all may have on this.

4. Lastly, none of the kit has been covered yet, and the seller says he has the original cloth that came with the kit back in 1991. Any issues with old cloth? And, is the cloth specific to each covering system? I've read that the Stewarts system is more workable, so if possible I'd like to be able to buy just those chemicals. I'm kind of being lazy with this question because I'm sure I could research this out, but any insight you guys have.... which you always do!!! ... would be great!

I'm sure a lot of this info is in previous posts, but I've read through a bunch and haven't seen these specific questions.

Thanks Guys!

Default Re: Mod 3 w/ Mod 4 Wings Questions

Hi Wade, the III with 4 wings should make a good plane. the Grey head engine is fine I flew one 297 hrs before replacing it never had a serious issue with it, just make sure it has the new upgraded water pump shaft seal. There is no problem with the fuselage fuel tank, I have 700+ hrs flying mine, remember all the J3 Cubs the Aeronca Champs and Chiefs and many other certified Airplanes all have nose fuselage tanks they have been flying for over 50 years that way.
    As for the covering I hear good reports on the Stewart system but you would have to check with them on covering compatibilities.
    Good luck with your search.
    GB
    Flying a HKS Kitfox III and a Champ

from 1991 the fabric should be a light weight dacron . i used some of the orgional fabric that came with my kit in 1993 last year . as long as its remained clean and rolled up and not creased , it should be ok .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Thanks for the info GB and Chuck.... great as usual.

GB - Any words of advise on the HKS? I noticed on Greensky's site they discussed dialing in the engine for significant fuel economy over the Rotax. Have you experienced that? Can you tell me what kind of fuel numbers you're getting with the HKS?

Thanks!
    Wade

wade , guess i didnt read all of your question about the fabric . if you have the dacron that came with the early kits , i have a note in my builders manual that the difference between it and the polyfiber polyester is the final shrinking temp is lower than the polyfiber . other than the temp , you use the poly fiber system on it , stewarts would work also .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Chuck - I checked out the Stewarts' website last night. They have a great how-to .pdf that I downloaded that spells out the whole process. Just from other posts I've seen here I'm really leaning towards Stewarts. And you're right, they didn't really get into specific brands of cloth. Good to know that cloth will still be good to use.

Airaces1 - Liked the videos! I noticed in the video where you were w/b'ing your bird one of the guys mentioned the fuselage tank. Did that have any real affect on your w/b? It seems like that's a decent amount of weight in that fuel and would cause the CG to move rearward a significant amount.... or am I just complicating things?!

Wade

Hi Wade, I am a very happy flier with the HKS have over 400 hrs on the engine now, fuel consumption has been approx 3 gph ( I don't have a precise fuel meter on m the fuel barrel just a farm meter) but it comes out at so close to 3 gal per hour that that's what I flight plan for. The Hks runs smooth starts ever so easy, I have had no maintenance issues ( other than having to have to replace a couple of bad carb sockets / there was a batch of poor one made same sockets that are used on the 9 series Rotax). Just change oil and filter every 50 hrs, replaced the spark plugs at 250 hrs. Operating cost for the HKS vs the Rotax 582 are 1/2 apporox $13 ph for the HKS vs $26.00 for the 582.
    GB
    Flying a HKS Kitfox III and a Champ