Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EGT issue

Default Re: EGT issue

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    HuDuGuru, I was in agreement with everything you said until the end. Reducing the prop load will not lower EGTs, it will cause them to go up on a 2 stroke.

That’s what happens when I post right after getting out of bed, I should have had my bacon and eggs first! For all intensive purposes, you are quite right Jim. When I wrote that I had a specific set of circumstances in mind that aren’t relevant to this post, so I won’t confuse the issue any more than I already have.

Thanks to everyone that responded. After reading all the post and doing some testing I think I will be staying with the new changes to my carb. I think the cleaning and going to a #45 idler jet is just what I needed. I did not realize the change you get when loading and unloading the engine. My tests show that I can maintain about 1150-1175deg EGT at most power settings. If I drop the rpm and leave it at 4600-4800rpm the EGT will read about 1225deg. At the end of the day one should always check their plugs to get the correct info.
    Thanks
    Pieter

I had EGT's at 1250 on my new BlueTop.

All I did was coarsen the IVOprop by half a turn and the EGT's ran at 1100. Static was 6300. I left it like that and all was fine.

Personally, before you start messing around with the carb's, I would coarsen the prop off and just see what effect it has - it really works.

In regard to the 2 stroke engines, Rotax has very good charts showing what jets and needles, ect should be used at standard tempatures and sea level. They also have charts telling how to adjust those jets for different tempatures and altitudes. I think one is best advised to make sure their jetting is correct according to the factory charts. Then if the prop is pitched for about 6250 static, EGT temps/plug color should be right. If EGT temps are still to high, you possibly have other problems such as leaking crankcase seals and such. Take care, Jim Chuk

I have the 582 greyhead rotax and there were no egt guages in the plane,is this something that I should install,it sounds likemost of you have them.

When I'm flying a 2 stroke, the EGT guage probably gets the most attention of the engine gauges. It will tell you right away that you may have a problem. Also, some guys have a system that allowed you to adjust your cruise mixture to a leaner or richer setting while in flight. With that system, the EGT would be a must have gauge. To each his own, but I would have a dual EGT gauge if it was my plane. Take care, Jim Chuk

Thanks Avid Flyer, any particular EGT guage I should be looking for, do they make one specifically for the 582 rotax?
    Thanks Again

Has anyone noticed when they increase the prop pitch on a 582 and the EGT went down that the cylinder head temp went up?

JP

That is true, when EGT goes down because of increased pitch, often CHT goes up. As the 582 is liquid cooled, usually people run a water temp gauge instead of a CHT gauge. I have seen it though on aircooled engines. Everything is relative however. If the CHTs aren't getting near redline you shouldn't have a problem there. As far as EGT gauges go, I've used Westach dual EGT gauges and liked them. They are fairly cheap and seem to work okey. Take care, Jim Chuk

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    When I'm flying a 2 stroke, the EGT guage probably gets the most attention of the engine gauges. It will tell you right away that you may have a problem. Also, some guys have a system that allowed you to adjust your cruise mixture to a leaner or richer setting while in flight. With that system, the EGT would be a must have gauge. To each his own, but I would have a dual EGT gauge if it was my plane. Take care, Jim Chuk
    X2! I would never fly a 2 stroke without EGT gauges! They are your #1 early warning sign that something is amiss! While your plug color is the final answer in getting your prop pitch and mixture dialed in, they are invaluable in watching trends! Due to the interface of the connections with the gauge and the probe, the EGT gauge is probably not reading spot on, however, it does give you a trend. Once you have the plug color dialed in to where they look good (light brown) you can mark your gauge and use that as the reference for your engine. If a seal starts to leak, the EGT is the first way you will know it!