Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Horizontal Stabilizer Series 7 SS

Default Horizontal Stabilizer Series 7 SS

New to Kitfox and New to forum. I have searched for several hours and don't find the answer to this so please excuse if I should have found it.

My kit is partially completed but new to me and I have been studying both it and the manual for days in preparation to begin work.

One thing I cannot understand is how the horizontal stabilizer and the access covers work. The manual shows the HS gets completely covered but how in the world could you install the access cover if that is the case. I am assuming the HS has a gap in the covering where it goes through the fuse but can find no description or pictures that verify my assumption.

One thing that was mentioned to me was that I should get an updated manual as the kit I have was 2007. Is that why I am not seeing this. My manual does show the electric HS trim installation and access covers.

What am I missing here?

Kit previously belonged to Randy Lervold and has been trailered across the US twice. Now is in a shop in Moses Lake WA where we plan to get er flying!

Default Re: Horizontal Stabilizer Series 7 SS

Here is a picture that might help, also the factory fly in is coming up, great place to talk to lots of fellow kitfoxers and see lots of kitfoxes and take lots of pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dj Series 6

As you can see from the pic in the previous post the HS does not get completely covered. The covering goes from the innermost rib on either side leaving a gap in the middle. With the access covers on this leaves an odd interface with the fuselage which can be made pretty especially if you don't use electric trim (given the HS doesn't move). I have the E-trim and a small gap between the forward part of the inner rib on the HS and the tail access cover (still thinking about how to make this cleaner).
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Jack,

Here's a couple shots with the tail access covers in place. The covers fit pretty close to the back side of the HS rib adjacent to the tail where the fabric stops on each side. The covers curve a bit and everything fits together pretty good.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF 7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp

you guys are all great! Fast and excellent responses. I assumed as much but couldn't find the verification in the build manual. The only picture in there showed the HS entirely covered but that just didn't make any sense.

Thanks for the great pics. I can't wait till mine is looking as good.

Ah yes, the covered horizontal. The manual is incorrect and new copies have been revised. Here's what the covered end looks like.
    Mark & Renee Smith
    Boise, ID
    "Build It ..."

The access covers are detailed under "Final Assembly"

jp