Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Electrical Regular HELP!!

Default 582 Electrical Regular HELP!!

I have a Kitfox 3 with a 582 Rotax. I was flying the other eveing and lost all electrical power. I landed and the battery was dead. I replaced the battery (only 3 mos old) with a new one. With the new batterey I was generating 12.6 volts with the engine off or on. This would indicate a regular problem wouldn't it?

I ordered a new Key West Regulator (3 Phase) and installed it. I am not sure the new regulator is working. I hooked up the Ohm meter when the engine is running and I am gettingf 26.5 volts!!! Shouldn't I only be getting about 13.5 to 14 volts?

I have some other questions and could use an electrical expert ... I am not familar with elctrcial and the correct volts.

Default Re: Electrical Regular HELP!!

The Key West regulator works by shorting the output from generator coil.

It does this and varies the duty cycle to maintain a charging voltage to the battery much like a switch mode power supply. I had one on my 582. It is noisy. One thing you can do to help is to put a large capacitor (500 uF, 25V) on the output. Then measure the output voltage.

You didn't measure that high voltage across the 12V battery??

Cheers,

Mark Napier
    Last edited by napierm; 08-07-2010 at 07:13 AM. Reason: add info