Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Best glue for rubber to AL

Default Best glue for rubber to AL

Details Details, down to putting the rubber stripping on the wing cuffs, recommendations for glue?
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Default Re: Best glue for rubber to AL

Hi Dorsal,

There are probably several adhesives a person could use. I used your basic "gorilla snot" i.e. contact cement - not the water based stuff - the real stuff that stinks till it dries.

Another idea - and this may be better - is the door seal cement used for automotive purposes - this stuff glues rubber to steel and painted steel and it probably is designed to live with pretty hostile environments brought on by exposure to the weather. 3-M makes this stuff and there may be other manufacturers - a person can get it a an auto body paint shop.

A person would think that rubber cement would be good - but it peels off the aluminum too easy.

Sincerely,

Dave S

There is an adhesive make by Locktite called Black Max 380. It is specifically designed for rubber to metal. I used it when I rebuild my older Matco master cylinders to glue in the small rubber plug in the bottom (that design isn't used now). I also glued in the rubber fitting and aluminum adapter for the right angle valve stems (Yamaha motorcycle part) on the 8" wheels. Works great.

3M Super Black Weatherstrip Adhesive

About $4 at most auto parts, Kmart and Wally world.

JP