Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Help with Covered in trailer

Default Help with Covered in trailer

Hi Guys, I have recently purchased a kitfox, and what apealed to me is the easy and quick trailering time. I am looking at consturcting a covered-in trailer, and was hoping someone out there could help me with some ideas.. working out the dimensions there will be very little room between the wings and the walls, but obviously it can be done...
    I would love to see some photos...or website referals and plug into some ideas if anyone out there has gone through this exersise....

Cheers Kiwi Geoff

Default Re: Help with Covered in trailer

The way I did mine was to start with a flatbed trailer that was 8' wide. the previous owner lowered the bed, and installed fenders inside. I welded 1" electrical conduit into a framework that would hold a tarp. The nose of the trailer is shaped with conduit and covered with the fiberglass sheet material that is used to cover motorhomes. I got it from a friend that owns a body shop. The tarp is a cover that is sold to cover lumber on semis. I bought it off ebay for a couple hundred bucks.

I have a few thousand miles on mine now, and think that it is great. I used the trailer as a hanger when I spent the winter in Florida a few years ago, and it worked great. They charged me a tiedown fee ($30/month) to leave the trailer in a tiedown spot, and I would pull it out and be flying in 20 minutes, and the plane wasn't getting cooked in the sun.

If you want, I can get specific about some deminsions , but from the pictures, you can probably get a good idea of how mine works.

Louie
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Help with Covered in trailer

Here are links to a couple of discussions on the topic:
    1) http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/sho...hlight=trailer
    2) http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/sho...hlight=trailer

We ended up getting a commercially made trailer from Interstate
    Last edited by enyaw; 05-27-2010 at 06:01 PM.