Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: In-flight video camera's

Default In-flight video camera's

Wondering about the latest video systems available to us for capturing our flights. Maybe something that does not produce the "boomerang effect" when shooting through the prop and would allow audio recording of the pilot/passenger communications and decent resolution. Hopefully under $1,000. Maybe way under.
    What's working and what's not.
    Also what editing software is best/easiest to use to produce sharable videos with sound or music.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Default Re: In-flight video camera's

If i were you i would look into the sanyo xacti cameras. They are ultra compact digital high def and can be had for around 500 or less depending on model. Just run an audio output from your radio to the mic input on the camera and your narration/chatter is taken care of. There are tons of mounts that will mount directly to tubing which there is no shortage of in the kitfox. Also you ca. Get a mild fisheye lense for abt 20 bux on ebay that greatly improves field of vision. As far as software, windows movie maker is super easy to use and fairly intuitive.

Mine gives the stupid "boomerang effect", see my YouTubes for what I mean.

I've talked to these folks and they say this one does not do that... Pretty reasonably priced, with a video screen and remote trigger switch, too!

It's on my short list for a good "Point of View" video camera.

I use MS Moviemaker to edit my videos, too. I'm getting better with it as I go...
    Last edited by Av8r3400; 03-09-2010 at 08:19 PM.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Thanks Av8r3400. I've seen the "boomerang effect". Maybe you can mount your current camera out on the strut facing in towards the pilot when you get the new one with the remote. Might work just fine if not shooting through the prop arc and gives you an interesting angle to mix with your forward facing camera.
    The camera you are considering is interesting with the wrist remote control and quite wide angle lens compared to others. It looks easy to use. Not yet H.D. but not bad for the price. I think I have MS Movie Maker on my new computer. I'll have to study it a little since both you and Dead Roman have had good success with it. Good ideas and input guys. Thanks.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Hi Steve,

There are a number of questions that come to mind as to your ultimate goals, but on the high end, the new Sony HD camcorder has a LanC jack that takes a corded remote that has most functions and it would allow for strut mounting. The remote connects with a 3.5mm stereo jack and can be extended with a stereo cord extension. I had a camera mounted on my first Model IV and plan on another one on my new project. It will be a long term project though, as I have some ideas for a complete redesign. Another idea for remote controlling, I have hardwired external switches to a cordless remote and used that to control the camera - with both fiberoptic cable and moving the output LED to the front of the camera. My new camera is Canon HD miniDV so the hardwired remote is in the plan.

The highest rated reasonably priced software is Adobe Premier Elements 8. That is what I plan on using as it also has DVD authoring capability with full menus like the commercially made DVDs. Costco currently has this software as well as Photoshop elements on sale on line for $119 with a $30 rebate if you can figure out how to apply for it.

I have a lot of exprience with my strut mounted camera, but don't want to bore the forum with all the frustrating issues that arose over the years I had my unit, i.e., bugs on the lens, but anyone that wants more info or a link to some sample videos can contact me direct.

Lowell

whatever camera you decide to go with make sure it is mounted for the upcomeing fly in....I want to see what went on

G`day All
    I realizes this thread is almost 2 years old now, but I am ready to purchase an in-flight video camera and would appreciate "up-dated" comments on the pros and cons of the various brands. After some internet research the Oregon Scientific ATC9K looks interesting. Are these smaller "helmet cameras" any good or are they pretty much just toys? Ideally I would like to mount it under a wing but have remotely controlled operation.
    Any and all comments appreciated.
    Cheers
    Don
    Model 5 Vixen 912UL IVO IFA

Read through this thread. Lots of good information.

I will be getting a Drift HD170 this winter, either from Santa or I'll buy it myself...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

GoPRO2 Hero Cam hands down. The only reason I wouldn't have recommended it in the past is due to the inability to tie an external audio source into it but now you can. I have the original gopro camera and it is honestly great. I take it snorkelling with me all the time its water proof to 100 real meters.

I posted this video before but if you didnt see it, I'll post it again. It was all shot on my GoPro. Tons of mounting options too btw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJVRs...&feature=g-upl

Wait one minute to see the in cockpit footage

The main advantage of the Drift over the GoPro (a fine camera, but hardly hands down when using it on an airplane) is the RF remote control, so no need to point it directly at the camera, a color screen on it for aiming and review and half the price.

Pilot's Review (Part 1)

Pilot's Review (Part 2)
    Last edited by Av8r3400; 12-11-2011 at 05:33 PM.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos