Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prop strike on full throttle? or landings?

Default Prop strike on full throttle? or landings?

I'm new to tailwheel. So a few newbie questions:

If I go to full throttle for either a static runup or for takeoff
    and hold the brakes, is there ANY chance it can pull it clean over
    and have a propstrike?

Second, if I'm coming in on a wheel landing and stomp on the
    brakes, can it nose over for a prop strike then? Seems like it would...

What about a three point? Can stoming on the brakes tip it
    over then?

Thanks for helping me overcome my worries
    ~Wild....

Default Re: Prop strike on full throttle? or landings?

whenever the engine is running always pull back on the stick. That way if you put any throttle to it you won't have to worry. And yes the tail will come right up if you go full throttle, so have the stick pulled all the way back and you won't have to worry.

Yes, you can go nose over if you hit the brakes. Just don't use them. I've got over three years on my matco brakes and about 15000 you read it right 15000 3 zero's of touch and goes on my brakes and they still look great. I just don't use them except to start and to turn sometimes.

Again, if the stick is all the way back you won't flip it. Just don't stomp on the brakes. Of course if you are trying to land and stop within 200ft. than yes you use the brakes, but if the stick is all the way back, no worry.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

... but will the tail lift at full throttle with me solid on the brakes under just the prop thrust?

i dont know about anyone else , but i wouldnt be able to keep the airplane stopped at full power with the brakes . ive got matco and lucky to keep it stopped doing mag checks . just not very affective brakes but im sure good enough to keep the tail up and taxi off the runway with it that way . havent tried it yet with the kitfox , were still getting to know each other , but used to do it with a c-170
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Quote Originally Posted by wildirishtime View Post
    ... but will the tail lift at full throttle with me solid on the brakes under just the prop thrust?
    Of course, that's why you always pull the stick back all the way. Just visual this, with the prop blast the tail will be a flying.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Oh and when it does come up, it will scare the hech out ya, it will be real fast. so remember, when the engine is running always have your hand on the stick, prefereably all the way back, just in case it goes full throttle on ya. I guess some people don't pay attention to what the right hand is doing.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Wildirish, be carefull holding the brakes to do a full power run up. You won't nose over if you hold the stick back but for another reason. That puts too much stress on the rudder pedals. Study the design there and you will see why. There have been a few broken rudder pedals. There is a modification to strengthen them if yours haven't been.

Also...I think the model 3 rudder...by the design location of its hinges..takes all the force when pushing both pedals too. It puts a lot of bending stress on the rudder leading edge tubing below the bottom hinge.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

I agree, I looked back at my tail when doing a full throttle, well I haven't been able to do it with the new engine, but anyway, the whole tail section would vibrate and such from the full throttle, I recommend you not do it as a habit.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

with all this said, I only go about 3000 rpm for a run up if that. I check for ignition on both sides. I get on the runway, slowely run er all the way up, brakes reliesed, push forward on the stick to raise the tail, than I pull back and wooohooo in the air. usually less than 300ft.

Now you done it, I need a fix, time out, I got to go to the airport, see ya.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Thanks for helping me overcome my worries
    Wild- a good tailwheel instructor can do this for you with only a couple hours of dual. Stop worrying. At least 20 people have mastered the tailwheel aircraft. You may be able to also.

P.S.
    Stomping brakes on a taildragger almost always results in embarrassment and repairs followed by increasing insurance rates.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear