Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Header tanks

Default Header tanks

Hi evryone my name is Pieter and I am new to this forum. I have been logging on for the past few months and like what I see. I own a Kitfox IV with a 582 that I built it in 1992. The last 3 years it has been parked. It's now time to back in the air but I need to do some work. Originally built it with 2 13.5 gal wing tanks and the 9gal front tank. I never did like the front plastic tank because it smells and was tough to keep from leaking at the fittings. I am now looking at replacing it with a 4 or 5 gal aluminum version that I am building. My question to everyone is, why not put it up front. Everything I have read says put it behind the seat. With the original 9 gal tank I had no fuel starvation issues. Your comments would be appreciated.

Default Re: Header tanks

I am also new to the Kitfox community, have not purchased yet, but very close to it...in reply to you question there is a service bulletin out

http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/suppor...etins/sb29.htm

it will give an explanation why not. I hope this helps.

I've been reading a loy of the posts on Header tanks, including the archived masterial. As advised a couple weeks ago when I joined this forum, I just purchased a Classic IV and there is no header tank although it is 4 years old and has 200 hours. The previous owner indicates he has never had a problem. However, since there is so much discussion on this topic, I am becoming concerned...should I be? There si also no carb heat and that has apparently never been anm issue either.

Your experience and insight would be appreciated.

Perhaps the engines are differently susceptible to carb ice depending on installations. This is the only time I had carb ice but I also only have a bout 25 hrs in the plane.

Thanks Iceflyer...and to those of you who responded privately. All good responses and good advice and it seems different experiences. I have decided not to mess with anything at this stage since the engine does have 200 hrs, all problem free. The logs seem to verify and the plane has been flown all four seasons on a consistent basis.

Should I experience any issues, I will certainly advise.

Thanks again.