Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: partial wing repair

Default partial wing repair

Ok, now that I have a game plan for re-assembling my used KF 4 Classic, and my first hurdle, the rubbing seat pan issue resolved, I am going to tackle the wings. On both wings, the last rib on the ends are broken. The fabric is cut back to the next good rib and the rest of the fabric on wings looks good and tight. The Spars are not bent and the wingtips are repairable. My question is...can I just replace the broken end ribs and the small false ribs and then recover just the end of the wing and reinstall the wingtips? Or do I have to recover the entire wing? The trailing edge aluminum is really bent up too so does that need to be replaced the entire length or can just the bent up 18" be replaced Thanks again for the help as I am sure I will be asking a thousand questions. I will try and post pictures because I know it does help on these kinds of issues.

Default Re: partial wing repair

Just my opinion, but if I was doing it, I would want to see what the rest of the wing looks like, just to make sure nothing else is busted loose. It would give a lot of peace of mind when your cranking and banking and not having to wonder if something is ready to let go. A while back I flipped my Avid over on a landing on skis in deep snow. Dinged the wingtip just a bit. Ended up tearing off all the covering. A bit of extra work, but to me it was worth it. Turned out that nothing was messed up in the wings, but I did see some lousy looking glue joints of rib to spar that I redid. I wasn't the original builder and that was one place in the plane I never had a good look at till the recover. Take care, Jim Chuk