Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Glider Towing

Default Glider Towing

I have been towing gliders lately with a 235 hp Pawnee. Now I see a lot of neat Ultralight Gliders; has anyone ever towed with a Kitfox? I know my operating limitations say no glider towing, but I figure that is a hurdle that could be fixed. My 912s Four with the warp drive seems to have plenty of pull and spare performance.
    Any thoughts?
    Kelly

Default Re: Glider Towing

OK, I managed to confuse myself (again).

I "recall" (meaning it may or not be true) that glider towing with experimentals is forbidden in the USA.

This is from the Flybaby page ( http://www.bowersflybaby.com/ ) :

"Pete decided to try to tow gliders with N500F. He installed a remote tow-cable release on the tailwheel spring of the Fly Baby, then went to the local FAA on a Friday with the waiver paperwork necessary for glider tow. The FAA inspector had just come back from vacation, and hurriedly signed off on the glider-tow waiver. Pete spent the weekend towing gliders aloft with the Fly Baby, especially his own Baby Bolus.
    Come Monday, the FAA inspector had whittled down the stack of papers that had collected in his in-basket over his vacation. There, he found a notice from FAA headquarters banning the issuance of glider-tow waivers to homebuilts! So N500F had just a single weekend of towing."

And this is from a February 2010 post in the forum at www.homebuiltairplanes.com:

"[Experimental aircraft for business use] As long as you are not carrying persons or property for hire, you can use a homebuilt for commercial use. Aerial photography for example. I think banner towing and possibly crop dusting too. Surprisingly, glider tow is not allowed even if done for free with your own glider."

On the other hand, the current FAR Part 91 seems to allow towing ultralights, even "for compensation or for hire":

Title 14, part 91, 91.319 Aircraft having experimental certificates: Operating limitations.
    (e) No person may operate an aircraft that is issued an experimental certificate under §21.191(i) of this chapter for compensation or hire, except a person may operate an aircraft issued an experimental certificate under §21.191(i)(1) for compensation or hire to—

(1) Tow a glider that is a light-sport aircraft or unpowered ultralight vehicle in accordance with §91.309; or
    (g) No person may operate an aircraft issued an experimental certificate under §21.191(i)(1) of this chapter to tow a glider that is a light-sport aircraft or unpowered ultralight vehicle for compensation or hire or to conduct flight training for compensation or hire in an aircraft which that persons provides unless within the preceding 100 hours of time in service the aircraft has—

(1) Been inspected by a certificated repairman (light-sport aircraft) with a maintenance rating, an appropriately rated mechanic, or an appropriately rated repair station in accordance with inspection procedures developed by the aircraft manufacturer or a person acceptable to the FAA; or

(2) Received an inspection for the issuance of an airworthiness certificate in accordance with part 21 of this chapter.
    ..."

As an ancient Chinese philosopher once said, "Both Buddha and Confucius look for enlightenment at the local FDSO."

Roberto Waltman

Default Re: Glider Towing

Not the answer I wanted, but it is accurate.
    Thanks for the clarity.