Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Ronin's KF-III Build Thead

Default Ronin's KF-III Build Thead

Finally got the half hanger sorted out, lights installed etc, and actually did some work on (removed) the rudder pedals. Floor plywood is starting to crumble due to age and lack of finish. Going to remove all the controls, brace the fuselage sides, reshape/enlarge the tail feathers and build new rudder pedals with proper geometry and re-powdercoat everything, Going to make the tail similar to Av8r3400's and copy his fuselage and rudder pedal mods.

I want to update the controls and wing to KF4 but every time I talk to KF about it I seem to get the hard sell "buy the whole 4 wing quick-build" instead of these are the parts you need to swap out and this is the cost. Same thing with the control system. They act like they don't want to sell the parts. I may have to flatten the wing and build a 4 control system the hard way?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    James T
    Valrico, FL

Default Re: Ronin's KF-III Build Thead

Hey Ronin,

I'm in the middle of doing the same thing. Mounting the 4 control mixer required welding in 6 tubes to support it. Now that i have covered the fuselage I find the bellcrank mounts are wrong and new ones need to be welded in. The only parts from the wing kit usable is the spars. Ribs, flaperons, brackets, etc are all different. Maybe a wing kit would be less expensive then buying the parts? Good luck, I like Larry's tail mods.
    Phil Laker

Got most of the control system removed along with the floorboards. The flap lever bolt seems to hit the frame tube, not sure how it got put in but it sure doesn't want to come out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (75.5 KB, 103 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (97.4 KB, 104 views)
    James T
    Valrico, FL

Is that a John Deere?
    Looking forward to seeing it all back together. Same paint? if so do you have a pick. don't think I have seen those colors on a Kitfox before. Maybe
    Eddie

New powdercoat will be gray, white or orange. Not sure which one yet.
    James T
    Valrico, FL