Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Oratex.......what I wished I new before

Default Oratex.......what I wished I new before

Its getting close...Couple more weeks and we pickup our STI kits! Build log to follow! We are going to cover using Oratex. For those who have gone before us, what did you learn that you wish you new before hand? I have watched all the videos on youtube, but looking for tips and tricks that you learned along the way. I know some like it, and some don't. We have never covered and aircraft so we have nothing to judge it with, which I think is an advantage. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Oratex.......what I wished I new before

As I mentioned to someone recently, Don't use foam to fill in voids such as the kit suggests on top of the rudder and vertical stab as well as the ends of the horizontal. You will likely want to use high heat (400degrees) to get the Oratex to take shape around the metal. I have some of my least attractive work on top of my rudder since I began to feel the foam give way under the heat. It could be worse but I wish I had used balsa wood to shape those areas. Outside of that, I didn't find that Oratex was that difficult at all. I also didn't wrap my Tokos iron with the silicone paper as recommended. The iron is a bit coarse surfaced so if you use it naked you will rub the color layer off as the heat softens it. I polished mine to a pretty nice, polished surface so I didn't have to use the silicone paper. You will need to pay attention to the temperature of the iron when you apply the reinforcement tapes. Too hot and your tapes will take on a dull finish as it shrinks up too much. I have a spot under my Horizontal Stabilizer that taught me that. Tapes go on using cooler temps than that used to shrink up the thicker fabric.
    Eddie

Eddie, what did you use for your leading edge? 4” finishing tape or second layer of fabric? Thanks.

I did the 4" and 2". 6" would have been ideal but it gets very expensive.
    Eddie

Call Lars Gleitsmann talk with him, covering with Oratex isn’t difficult or hard. Use Foam Bushes to spread the glue. Make sure the glue is not old, and clumpy.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas