Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: flaperon troubles on KF2

Default flaperon troubles on KF2

I bought this KF2 with a blown engine last fall and have been working on it all winter... I installed a new 582 and aluminum radiator, all new fuel lines and coolant lines. When I test flew it today I could only get the water temp up to 150. IT would go al little higher if I climbed at full throttle. ITs 45 outside so maybe I have to tape over the radiator????? I thought the thermostat would take care of this...
    My biggest problem is the flaperons work fine on the ground but in the air if I slow to 50 and pull on the flap handle, the left one goes most of the way down and the right one onlyh about 1/2 down . The adverse drag on the left side makes me add nearly full right rudder to keep the wings level... Im at a loss at to how to solve this. ON the ground both flaperons go down evenly to full.ANy ideas out there?????? The left wing hit the ground years ago and the last three flaperone hangars had to be reinforced but no binding and they work smoothly on the ground but in flight the left on goes down before the right one?????Help Mr. WIzzard!!!!!!exfaa@outlook.com

Mark

Default Re: flaperon troubles on KF2

The flaperon horn on that one side may have sheared the rivets when the wing hit the ground. Now it slips when under pressure. My guess.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Jim's hypothesis seems likely. Something definitely is not attached. The controls are about as rigidly linked as they possibly could be. Maybe provide some resistance and have a friend actuate the flap handle to see where it is slipping or detaching, and definitely don't fly it again until that's sorted out. You could lose directional control entirely if is slips for good.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Ill look at it today if I can before it rains....

There is no friction on the flap handle. I have to hold it or it goes flaps up..
    Also there are no stops so that might be all it is....IT flys fine other than when I pull on Full flaps... I might be pulling on more than it was designed for but the left flaperon is down about 35-40 by eyeball and the right is only down about 20. IT takes full right rudder to keep the wings level..The left wing is pulling aft with the flaperon down...
    Anyway If I figure it out, Ill post back...
    Thanks for the ideas and Ill check them all out..

Mark

Problem solved.MYSTERY Solved! This is a KF2 and you do not have to disconnet the flaperons to fold the wings....The problem is the flap handle needs to be almost all the way aft.

ON the ground with wings unfolded, if I pull on full flaps the stick can not move left or right..... I looked in the manual and there is very obscure paragraph about rigging the flaperons so I followed it to the T and now everything is fine. Since I have no stops on the flap handle, I made a mark at the farthest flap down position before it interferes with the ailerons. I measured the flaperons relative to teh bottom wing chord and they only go down 10 degrees. IF you pull the flaps all the way down, no ailerons,,, so I made a mark where I can extend the flaps and not go beyond... I could see where a person could wreck the plane due to loss of control if you didnt know and tried to put the flap full down and takeoff...youd have no aileron control. The previous owner used to get rolling and pull on full flap to pop off the ground but he got rid of the flaps immediately.....I guess this is no longer a problem and the model IV and later kitfoxes...live and learn.....

The KF 3 must be very similar, if I push the flap lever full forward I have limited eileron effectiveness,the plane just feels all wrong.I installed a stop,problem fixed .glad you got it sorted.