Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Paint and stuff

Default Re: Paint and stuff

I got it about a year ago. It was an opaque yellow solution. It is a bottle that is heat sealed in a bag and now the fluid is clear yellow/orange with the yellow opaque remnants stuck to the side of the bottle. It has been stored inside my house the entire time. 73-80 degrees. Shaking it up does not bring it back into solution. I have not opened it either in hopes that maybe Lars will take it back. There is no indication of a shelf life on the bottle to my knowledge. Much of the label is in German.
    Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Thanks for the reminder Steve. I have some "special" wax to use on the Oratex but I notice that it has apparently gone very bad. I seems it has separated out and shaking it does nothing. I think I would have applied it to the paint as well but having been reminded, I will use Carnuba on everything I think.
    John, did you use the "special wax"?
    Eddie
    I did get some of the Oratex wax, and yes, it shows signs of separation but seems to mostly mix again with vigorous shaking. Lars would probably disagree with the choice, but I will probably mostly use some Mother’s brand “100% pure carnuba” wax... I have some in liquid form as well as paste. I’ve applied that as well as the Oratex product to various surfaces on the airplane, and they all seem to be good - at least so far.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by Flybyjim View Post
    Aerothane will have much more gloss to it as compared to poly-tone. On a warbird I finished in 2015 I used polytone on the fabric and on the metal, I used Aerothane with a flattener added.
    Polytone on the fiberglass parts was often discussed on the really old days. Most.got poor adhesion with peeling and scratchimg, though some guys solved the adhesion problem by using two guns. One was filled with an epoxy primer in it - i think - for a final light coat and the second one had the Polytone in it. After the primer lost its sheen from the thinner evaporation the polytone coats began.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel