Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gotta Question

Default Re: Gotta Question

I just love ❤️ this forum. Learn so much here.

Rodney

MY 912ULS in my Highlander that has the cold start issue is about a 2006 engine.

My 1993 912UL in my Kitfox does not have the issue of needing modules heated, so I believe this is most likely just an issue with a serial number range of 912ULS's.

I love this forum too...

I've got new modules on an old motor in the Mangy. It will be interesting to experiment with this, this winter...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I doubt the new modules will be like that. From what I have gathered there is only a small group of modules affected. Oh, and if it is sunny outside and you take off the top of cowl to expose them, that alone can heat them up enough to work even at freezing temps. I learned that by mistake, or should I say out of desperation one day on when on skis.

HI all
    I bit more followup. Over the past 6 years I have always preheated when the temp's go near and below freezing. FOXK is in an unheated hanger. I throw a old comforter over the cowel and introduce heat from an electric heater either through the front air intake or through the lower air discharge area. The engine always starts immediately after 30 plus minutes of heating.
    I was under the impression that the reason for the quick starts was because I heated the engine a bit BUT now I am thinking it was actually because the MODULES got warmed up. The modules are located high on the engine where most of the heat would be. Engine is a UL probably around 1994 to 96 serial number 4153404.
    I have always had a hot start issue and now I am wondering if maybe these modules are subject to temp variations at both extremes. Weird
    Have fun
    Don

Just thinking aloud, could one put an oil pan heat pad on the modules?
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Hi Josh
    This winter I plan on laying a Battery Blanket over the modules and try that. Could probably just leave in there all the time and plug it in for a bit before startup. Not cold here yet, just inversion morning fog over the lake. Hope it burns off early tomorrow because a few of us "slow guys" (C170`s and a Pacer) plan on going up to Shuswap Lake Estates for lunch. We land right on the golf course. Just have to do a fly over and a small circuit or they will start playing again when you are on final. Not good.
    You will have to get that "High Flier" going and come over next summer.
    Cheers
    Don

Hey Don, it’s looking like a spring first flight so a summer trip is definitely in the cards. I’ll have to test out that turbo charger over the rocks. I have a buddy with a IV in Golden, maybe I’ll meet him on the way and we can both come out. Hell maybe get kitfox Jim and Norm on board and have a little western Canada kitfox meet up.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    Hey Don, it’s looking like a spring first flight so a summer trip is definitely in the cards. I’ll have to test out that turbo charger over the rocks. I have a buddy with a IV in Golden, maybe I’ll meet him on the way and we can both come out. Hell maybe get kitfox Jim and Norm on board and have a little western Canada kitfox meet up.
    I have been thinking of a Western Canada meet. I am sure KMach and WannaFly would like to join and I got a new KitFoxer into a model IV, he is in South eastern SK. There is also two new Kitfoxes at my field, both Model IVs. One is a 912ULS and the other my Student liked my Kitfox so much he picked on up for himself. Needs some work but should be ready for spring. Of course KitFoxJim is always ready for a flight and his Son is now flying his Model II. Jim's Model II is the plane you see on Wiki if you do a KitFox search.
    Getting lots of fun planes and time to have a fun get together.
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV

Hi Guys
    Sounds good. I got out there only once this summer. It was tough slugging with all the smoke. Had the follow TCH all the way (both ways) from Delia to Three Valley Gap, then direct to YYF. Stopped at my old airport in Didsbury for fuel. Was at Hanna when the Vimy boys came through with the VW powered Newports on their cross Canada tour. About 20+ knots when they landed. Lost one on takeoff earlier that day in Saskatchewan.
    Seems like we are beginning to get a few more KF`s around. Great.
    Have fun
    Don