Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rudder pedals

Default Rudder pedals

Today I mounted the rudder pedal assemblies. What I thought would be a couple hours turned into an all day job. First, the rudder tubes were too long and had to be fitted to length on both sides, no problem, all fitting blocks are in allignment. This was not hard to do just taking the time to do the alignment. At this point I fitted the end bearings, center bearings and mounted the assemblies in place, now I have some binding on the left side pedals. After a while of looking for the problem, I have found the u channel that the fittings are bolted to on the left side is not in alignment with the rest of the u channels, it is welded lower than the others. Okay, not a real problem a thick washer will bring it up to alignment with the others. All is well until I tightened the bearings to the recommended 30-40 lbs torque and all of the bearings are now binding. In all the years I have been building planes I have not had bearings that are this soft that expand when tightened. Anyway, the rest of the day was spent working on the fit. In the end, all is well but I am courious why this material is being used for bearings, any insight?

Default Re: Rudder pedals

What you found is not uncommon at all. Most of us have spent at least a day on this step to get it right. If you search the forum for this topic you will find lots of suggestions.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

30-40 pounds of torque sounds like about 10 times too much for the rudder pedal bushings.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Quote Originally Posted by t j View Post
    30-40 pounds of torque sounds like about 10 times too much for the rudder pedal bushings.
    Probably inch pounds not foot pounds
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    Probably inch pounds not foot pounds
    Okay, that sound better.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

I went through the same process Jim. In the end it all worked out nicely. Just taught me early in the build that predicting how long a specific process will take was not a cake walk. Also learned patience and persistance and finesse with a sanding drum on a Dremel.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Yes, inch lbs 30-40 is what the builders manual calls for.