Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Wooden lift strut fairings

Default Wooden lift strut fairings

We have what appear to be wooden fairings for our model IV speedster wing lift struts. We can't find any instructions for their attachment or positioning. Can anyone confirm for us that these are indeed fairings for the lift struts and point us in the direction of any instructions? Pictures are attached - and thanks in advance!!

IMG_1365.jpg

IMG_1366.jpg

Default Re: Wooden lift strut fairings

They likely are not factory supplied strut fairings as I don't ever remember seeing wooden ones supplied. Doesn't mean they would not do a good job though. Others may know more about early strut fairing history. More likey home made concept that might be bonded on the trailing edge of each strut then wrapped with fabric and painted. Iv'e heard of that being done before. If that is the case you may not find any reference in the manual.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

My IV-1050 had wood farings just like this for the lift struts. A friend (JimS) has them on his 1050 Speedster, too.

They were varnished and hysol'ed to the struts. Then covered with fabric and finished.

Jim drilled lightening holes (1" diameter?) in his to lessen their weight.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

The wood fairing was an option for the early model kitfoxes. My Classic 4 kit was ordered in 1994. The options list to order the kit mentions a "Speed fairing kit with foam fairing for the trailing edges of the lift struts".

The catalog for the same year however, has the wood fairing listed as enough to do the lift struts and the tube landing gear. It is much lighter than the PVC fairing.

I bought a set of the wood fairing from another builder that decided to get the PVC instead because it is much easier to install. The wood was 5, 8 foot sections. I installed the wood on my landing gear but decided to get the PVC for the lift struts.

The instructions for installing the wood fairing are in the Cover and finish section in your builders manual.

It actually adds strength to the struts and landing gear and you can run the brake lines through the notch in the bottom of the V.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

[QUOTEThe wood fairing was an option for the early model kitfoxes][/QUOTE]

I did not get the build manual with the purchase of my model 3 or would have caught that.

Still learning everyday.
    Thanks guys.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I believe 85DD has those. I spoke with Dan Denny about them one time and if I remember right I believe he told me the ones on 85DD were made of balsa. They and the lift struts are covered with fabric.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

I have the manual for my Model 3, they are wood and look like what you have. The guidance is not very extensive. There is a one page diagram with notes on attaching to gear legs and struts. In the covering section it describes how to cover with the scrap fabric trimmed from the leading edge.

If you need it I can scan those pages and post as an attachment in .pdf format.

Ralph

All,

I am always amazed at how quickly and how many people answer the posts on this forum. It is clearly very active, and I really look forward to joining this flying community!

Ralph, We have the covering and finish manual for the Model III at the hangar. Next time I am out there, I will look through the cover and finish section and see if I can't find the page you are talking about. If not I'll hit you up for the scanned copy.

Thanks to all!
    Jay

The wood fairings are what I put on my friends Avid Mk 4. I put fabric on the lift struts, the gear legs, and spring struts, but on the cabane decided to just use microballoons in epoxy to smooth and fill on the cabane. I found it much quicker as it required only primer and paint vs. All the coats of Polyfiber coatings used on the struts etc. - a bit smother finish too. Although it was very hot here at the time and early mornings were the only time temps met the specs of the coatings.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel