Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Recent Insurance Info

Default Recent Insurance Info

So, looking at insurance on KitFox's and was wondering what others are paying... I have >1000 hours and >450 tail dragger time. Best I could get is $2145/year, but this includes the 40 hour phase I testing.

I think this was about what I paid for my RV-10 6 years ago, and it had was 2.5x the hull value....

Anyone else have any data points? Thanks
    -Mike Kraus
    RV-4 built and sold :-(
    RV-10 built and flying
    KitFox SS7 built and flying and now on amphib floats!

Default Re: Recent Insurance Info

That seems high to me. I have a Rans S7, insured for $45,000. full liability for $1085.00 per year even for the first 40 hours with Falcon. I have a bit over 1000 hours and most of that is in tail wheels.

What coverage are you looking for? Who are you getting this quote from?

The standard $1m liability with ~$50k hull should be no more than $1500 per year, given your level of experience.

I would suggest contacting EAA insurance services (866-647-4322). I go through them to Falcon and am paying $1050 per year for $1m/$50k.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Try Regal Aviation, Heather Brown, 800-275-7345 that is where I get my Kitfox Insurance. I have a heck of a lot less hours. I think $1300 for the year, $1 Million/$80,000 valuation. I use to use Falcon, they jacked my rates up, so I dropped and went to Regal.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I also recommend Regal. I had zero hours on my Kitfox when I quoted with Heather. My premium was $1600 with 80k value. I had 15 hours on Citabria and that was it for tail wheel time.

Heather at Regal. Had builder's insurance and now flight insurance even though I haven't had the inspection. According to Heather, even if your doing engine runs, taxing around the tarmac and a few high-speed runs... you need flight insurance for any kind of damage. I have a higher declared value for my KF, but working through the numbers in the email thread, its all in line with what Heather has for us. By the way, she does shop around for the best underwriter. She was able to find ~$400 saving between 2 underwriters when I added flight insurance and it was better coverage than the higher premium underwriter. We have a Rotax 914, so I wanted higher coverage for this plane.
    BobRS
    KF SS7, 914 Turbo
    Albuquerque, NM

I use Falcon. 1M/70K for $1400 on SS7

I have very similar times to you with a couple hundred hours float time thrown in also. Insurance on a RANS S7 was just over $1K with $40K hull. My $172 was several hundred dollars less. This was with Avemco and I was going to get new quotes this spring.