Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Kitfox vs RANS, The Building Experience

Default Re: Kitfox vs RANS, The Building Experience

Stu, I think you hit the nail on the head. Build times for a plane already built are much shorter than a kit. I love building but there are times where I wish I had a plane flying faster than my schedule allows. Plus you are going to spend the same in the end on a kit you build yourself as an already flying specimen. You won't know the plane as well as some of us here but you have lots of help on the forum. Get your building itch scratched with building floats. I would have loved to build floats but I know I will never end up doing that once I have a flying plane. Goodluck!
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Wow!!! I purely by chance have taken on the completion of a KF IV . Got a 912 instrument panel forward from a totaled KF. My earlier project completed in 1992 took 5 yrs and 6000 hrs. Built from plans. Had to hunt supplies. Used a Ford V 6 engine. Built amphib floats later which took 1000 hrs. Float kit from Montana floats which were excellent in all respects. Anyone wanting a good float kit, I recommend them. Flew that project 18 yrs and should have kept it.
    But, this discussion has me really excited about completing and flying the Kit fox. Thanks for the encouragement.
    Bud

1000 hours to build the floats! Ack!!!

Stubob,
    I have a set of the Murphy 1800 Amphibs, haven't done much on them but looking through the build manual, they look nearly as complex as building an airframe. Lot more to them than I guy thinks. Bulkheads, chines, pump outs, gear, etc. all add up to a lot of work.

I guess that explains why they cost almost as much as an airplane, too.

I wonder about the Zenith and Full Lotus models.

MY buddy runs Full Lotus floats. If you are flying in rivers where you have rocky, shallow shores I think they are the best bet. They have an amphib flavour too. The new ones are a lot less draggy than the old.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I have a set of the Full Lotus amphibs (older style with the exposed type gear). The Full Lotus are definitely not for the guy that is worried about looks. I will be up front and mention that I have not yet mounted these floats on my plane. I bought them due to the price being right and the fact that living up here in the north country, the original owner told me they work great on snow and ice. Actually, he said they were the most fun he had for winter flying since they had better flotaion than skis when landing on the snow and 'really fun' on ice.
    Hey, what else can a guy mount in regards to landing gear that will allow landing on nearly anything!

Water..check
    land...check
    snow...check
    ice.....check

The retract gear definitely isn't made for rough field landings but my strip is pretty smooth so I think they will be a great addition for me.

The Full Lotus straights and the old amphibs are apparently great on snow. But I've read that the new amphibs, with the mains retracting into wells, are more problematic, as snow can get packed into the wells.

Maybe so, maybe not, but it makes sense.....

BUT, Full Lotus are certainly one good way around 1000-hour build times.