Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Alaska moose hunting trip

Default Alaska moose hunting trip

Anyone interested in flying to upper Alaska this fall (2017) for a DIY hunt, moose and caribou. You will need your own plane for weight distribution. Looking for someone that loves hunting as much as flying as I do. Thanks Tom.

Default Re: Alaska moose hunting trip

PM sent......
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

This is exactly why I want to buy a Kitfox. Trips like this are what I dream of. Take one of my kids and go fishing for a weekend somewhere in the bush.

A point to consider:

You can NOT fly through Canadian airspace on a Light Sport Certificate. A Private Pilot certificate with a valid medical is the minimum.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Angry Re: Alaska moose hunting trip

Yes, as av8r3400 states, a person is SOL if they want to fly across the border under SP ticket. I posed the question many years ago to the EAA to see if anything was in the works for cross country agreement to allow SP people to traverse the border. Living up here in floatplane country I know a lot of guys that have gone to SP and can no longer fly their floatplanes into Canada to their fishing cabins.
    Unfortunately, I would have been contacting to original poster as soon as I read the post but knew it was senseless due to this issue of lapsed medical.

Tom,
    Being a very avid hunter, just guess what my forum name means! I wish you the best of luck on a dream hunt!!

Yeah the big thing in Canada is you NEED a medical to fly. Hopefully once the medical reform in the states plays out Canada will follow suit as they often do.

It's funny how the rules work. We have owner maintenance planes up here that are basically certified planes that you can do maintenance on your self such as an experimental (Once you put it in owner maintenance you can't reverse it so you have to think long and hard before you do it). The FAA will not allow any of those planes in US airspace under any circumstances.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

you could fly to Bellingham Washington, fold the wings back load your kitfox on the ferry and fly it when you get to Alaska ha.

I really think some of the Canadian rules should be blended with some American rules so we both have better, more practical rules that will work better for all of us. What a shame that LSA pilots can't fly through Canada, and for Canadians to not be able to fly their owner maintained aircraft in the states. But maybe if we all start becoming a bit more vocal about what we want as taxpayers we could change that.

I took the opportunity during OSH when I happened to be around a few very high level FAA people to remind them of just that. I started by thanking them for their work on the medical reform, but they know me well from working with them on the LSA rule, so they pretty much knew I had more for them. They responded wiith "Ok Paul, what is it you want now?" I came back with "Well... the medical reform was a really positive step in the right direction, but we need to keep moving that direction as there is a lot more to do. My list says we need adjustable props for LSA's, an Owner Maintenance program for factory built aircraft like our friends in Canada have that has proven to be very successful, and last but not least, we need a nicer, more friendly, less intrusive relationship between the FAA and the pilots". (To me an FAA guy ramp checking a recreational pilot is the equivalent of the Guestapo saying "Papers please!" ? It's ridiculous and unconstitutional under "illegal search" imho). They snickered a bit at my boldness as they are somewhat used to it, but replied with "Ok, we'll look into some of that and see what we can do". Of course that doesn't mean much in reality, but everything starts by making the first suggestion. That's exactly how Light Sport started. So who knows?

Maybe one day when the FAA gives us those things they will also let Canadians fly down here with their owner maintained aircraft. And Canada can return the favor by letting us fly under our LSA rules in their country. Wouldn't that be great!

Be nice, but get vocal...