Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Supporting folded wings

Default Supporting folded wings

I've read a lot of posts on transporting and i apologize for bringing it up again. But i haven't seen any mention of how folks are securing and/or supporting the wings at the tail end.
    I was thinking a 1/4" rod through the L.E. of the vertical stab (where there is a through hole) connected to the tab on the aft lift strut. And is it required to support the L.E. of the wing back by tail, the way it's supported up front? I have the supports made for root end. Thanks, Ken
    Model SS

Default Re: Supporting folded wings

Hi Ken,

I bought the wing transport kit from Kifox except for the tail pad (We sewed that up). So I got the front wing braces and the rear lockback braces plus hardware.

The hole in the front of the Vert Stab you corrrectly idnetified is what the Kitfox lockback braces bolt to (one through bolt holds both R & L lockback braces) - the other end uses the -3 hole for a pin & hairpin that holds the wing steady @ the rear Lift strut bracket - the -3 pin goes through the hole on the rear of the tab attached to lift strut bracket by the tie down loop - very solid and secure when installed. The Lockback braces keep the wings from swinging, they do not support the wing which does not need any vertical support anyway - the lift struts do that. The forward braces which run from the LE of the wing at the carry through spar pin hole are essential to keep from damaging the ribs.

The lockback braces have some interesting geometry & braces built into them to fit and make it solid. I consider the purchase to be well worth it.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Thanks Dave!

I trailer to the airport using the factory transport kit. Never any problem.
    However, I have had occasions where wing folding needs to be done properly
    if windy or on a slight slope. A wing may try to unfold if not secured. I always install the tail braces first as the front braces, if installed first, will not stop a wing from unfolding. There is the possibility of an inadvertent unfolding bending the frond braces.