Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox 4 header tank location

Default Kitfox 4 header tank location

I have a kitfox 4 speedster that's getting close to first flight. I left fuel in the tanks overnight and found fuel leaking from the fittings in the plastic header tank. After reading several threads on this forum, I decided to replace the tank with an aluminum one to keep leaks from recurring.

I have an older kitfox with the header tank mounted near the top of the fuselage behind the baggage compartment. I have a low fuel sensor mounted above the tank and a 3/8" aluminum fuel line running from the tank to the fuel shutoff valve, with a tee fitting and quick drain mounted behind the seat at the lowest spot. Is it ok to fabricate a new tank and keep it in the same position (and avoid rerouting fuel lines and drains), or should I replace it with the standard low mounted tank behind the seat?

Thanks for the help,
    Jack

Default Re: Kitfox 4 header tank location

Jack,

Behind the seat is preferable in my opinion as in your case you can have fuel at your sump, but still have water or trash stuck at the bottom of the header tank that doesn't make it down until you're running and everything is churned up. The lower mounted tank also has the supply line running out the side with a little bit of unusable fuel so if anything is in the tank still it has a better chance of staying at the bottom of the tank and running out the sump.

Agree, for all the same reasons.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I had the poly tank in my IV when I bought it. The fuel system was one of the first systems I upgraded. I highly recommend the aluminum tank for no other reason than the low point sump drain. Gluing the flange ring to the belly was my first fabric repair