Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox 1 with KFIV wings/tail

Default Kitfox 1 with KFIV wings/tail

I'm considering purchasing a Kitfox 1 kit. I've done a fair amount of reading on the first KF and it sounds like the main downside is the lack of authority in the flight controls. The kit I am looking at includes Kitfox IV wings, wing fuel tanks, full length flaperons, and Kitfox IV rudder and elevator. Would this drastically improve the kitfox 1 or would it cause some problems possibly?

Thanks.

Default Re: Kitfox 1 with KFIV wings/tail

I have model III wings and a model IV vertical stabilizer on my I. Works great.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

In your head It only sounds like a kit in that form, but believe me it is far far from a kit, there is no going to the shelf grabbing a part and bolting it on ha, But by no means let that turn you away from the plane, I have been building a model 1 for the past three years, If I would have stuck with the orignal kit form It would have been done it 4 months, But I would do it all over again, So if I was you I would go for it,

Are there any negatives to having KFIV wings/tails surfaces on a KF 1 fuselage?

Quote Originally Posted by fargoflyfish View Post
    Are there any negatives to having KFIV wings/tails surfaces on a KF 1 fuselage?
    I can't think of any negatives to "having" them on a Kitfox 1 fuselage. You need to consider how you are going to install them. Different lift strut length and a very different flaperon control system are the first things that pop into my mind. There will be lots of fabricating.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

I was just flying my Kitfox 1 last evening that I recently restored. I would say the controls are very responsive. The elevator could perhaps be a bit larger, but in that regard, it's pretty much the same size as the other early Kitfoxes and Avid Flyers. Lots of them flying just fine. What exactly was said about the problem with the flight controls. I've been flying this Kitfox for the last month working out any bugs in it. Figure to put it up for sale eventually. I'm east of you, in northern Mn. JImChuk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5ZgAOfA90s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftta6HnjUHs

Your plane looks great! I am hoping to get a plane out of my yard just like yours, but without the trees.

When I was reading about the earlier models it sounded like the rudder didn't have enough authority while landing to make quick corrections if needed. I have zero experience in a kit fox and it is only what I read.

We just modified our model 2. Actually it's a late serial number model 1 but came out of the factory with model 2 wings and tail. However we added 10" to the vertical and 2" in rudder width to make the tail like a model 4. Also installed model 5 nose gear and a rotax 912 with a model 3 engine mount. Also recertified the plane to 1050 gross weight. Love the improvements especially low speed and ground handling. You"ll love the changes

I did some more flying in the Kitfox 1 this evening. Beautiful evening to fly. I was about 800' - 900' in the video. It was fun. I'm starting to really like this plane! :-) JImChuk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h0o...ature=youtu.be