Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Covering, paint, and engine costs?

Default Covering, paint, and engine costs?

What is the approximate cost for the following on a kit fox 1 assuming I do the work?
    1. cover the fuselage and wings
    2. simple paint job
    3. have a new grey head 582 looked over that hasn't been run since purchased a few years ago

Thanks for the help. I'm trying to decide if a project is worth buying.

Default Re: Covering, paint, and engine costs?

I've recovered one complete plane this year, plus three other wings, so my estimate is probably close. This is using uncertified fabric. About $1750 in materials. I figured 4 gal. poly brush, 4 gal poly spray, 3 gallons poly tone. You can go heavier if you want, but price goes up along with the weight. As far as engines go, I've had a local snowmobile shop go through my engines to reseal them. They used after market seals and gaskets, and they seem just fine. They were real reasonable. Usually just under $400. Not sure you can get the same deal where you are on the engine. Sending it to a Rotax certified shop will be a lot more. JImChuk

I too am interested in this topic. I have seen several threads that you have shared Jim on your wing coverings and I appreciate the info.

Can you clarify if the $1750 if that includes the cost of the material for the wings (or whole plane) and the paint you listed?

Charlie

Here is a breakdown of how I figured the price. 35 yrds uncertified fabric @ about $5 per yd. $175 Guessed at $200 for uncertified tapes and inspection covers, ect. 4 gal. poly brush, + 4 gal. poly spray @ $85 per gal = $680 3 gal poly tone @ about $110 = $330 3 gal. thinner @ $45 = $135 2 quarts poly tac @ $30 per qt = $60. Where are we at now?? $1580 no shipping charges yet, and I probably didn't think about something. 35 yrs. should be enough fabric for a complete Kitfox 1 if you are careful how you cut it. Add some MEK to thin the poly tac...... JImChuk

Thanks for breaking that down. I thought the cost would have been about double that.

Well you can spend a lot more. If you use certified fabric, ribstich the wings instead of just glued on like they were always done, put tons of poly spray on, use aerothane paint, with multiple colors the cost will add up. If you do everything by the poly fiber book, you will have more into it than what I showed. I go a bit lighter on the number of coats than they call for. On the poly spray, I do 2 cross coats on the top side and one on the bottom. That will cut down on the UV protection, but my planes spend their time in a hangar when they aren't out flying. I figure it doesn't need to have 30 years worth of protection if it's likely to see only 6 months time in the sun in that length of time. YMMV, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it :-) JImChuk

Are you sure about 4 gal. of Polybrush? Seems like I used no more than 2 gal. on my SS7, but maybe my memory is bad.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    Here is a breakdown of how I figured the price. 35 yrds uncertified fabric @ about $5 per yd. $175 Guessed at $200 for uncertified tapes and inspection covers, ect. 4 gal. poly brush, + 4 gal. poly spray @ $85 per gal = $680 3 gal poly tone @ about $110 = $330 3 gal. thinner @ $45 = $135 2 quarts poly tac @ $30 per qt = $60. Where are we at now?? $1580 no shipping charges yet, and I probably didn't think about something. 35 yrs. should be enough fabric for a complete Kitfox 1 if you are careful how you cut it. Add some MEK to thin the poly tac...... JImChuk
    That is super helpful thanks. Do you use the 2.x oz fabric?

I've used both 1.8 oz and 2.3 oz. Actually, Tahoe Tim on this website has/had his fabric up for sale a week or so back cause he is going with ortex fabric. Might be able to get the fabric and tapes from him. I already got his chemicals.... As far as the amount of poly brush, I ran in to some problems with pin holes when I went light on the brushed on poly brush coat. Since then I'm not as stingy with it. Another way to save a buck or two is to use lacquer thinner for the thinner for the poly products. It's about 1/4 the price per gallon if you get a 5 gallon bucket of it at the local paint or hardware store, and you won't have shipping charges on it. It works just fine, and maybe gives a bit more shine to the color coats than the standard poly fiber thinner. I still used MEK to thin the poly tack glue though. JImChuk

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    I've used both 1.8 oz and 2.3 oz. Actually, Tahoe Tim on this website has/had his fabric up for sale a week or so back cause he is going with ortex fabric. Might be able to get the fabric and tapes from him. I already got his chemicals.... As far as the amount of poly brush, I ran in to some problems with pin holes when I went light on the brushed on poly brush coat. Since then I'm not as stingy with it. Another way to save a buck or two is to use lacquer thinner for the thinner for the poly products. It's about 1/4 the price per gallon if you get a 5 gallon bucket of it at the local paint or hardware store, and you won't have shipping charges on it. It works just fine, and maybe gives a bit more shine to the color coats than the standard poly fiber thinner. I still used MEK to thin the poly tack glue though. JImChuk
    Thanks Jim. And to. Fargoflyfish for a very helpful thread.