Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Jury Strut install?

Default Jury Strut install?

I apologize, the photos were all taken with the same phone and oriented the same in my photos but I have no idea why they come out on their side. Anyhow, I am tired of trying to make these Jury struts work out. I have everything done well in my opinion but I can not get the horizontal to be level. When I move any of the brackets in any direction that results with a level bubble then I am bending the struts in some fashion. I had to swap brackets around in order for everything to work out as well as it has but I am unable to get this level. I am square front to back, no bowing in the struts and my brackets are centerline with struts and spars. My spar brackets are both the same distance from the rib suggesting they are true front to back. Correct me if Im wrong here. If I had to make adjustments to the strut rod end bearings to correct the wash out, would that not account for my inability to get this level?
    Ive come back to this dang thing for three days now and I am tired of trying to figure it out myself.
    Eddie
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Jury Strut install?

Hmmmmm, not sure mine are level and not sure they need to be. I made mine perpendicular to the wing and moved them inboard/outboard until the struts were not bent and called it good. Any reason why that needs to be level?

Maybe you are over thinking it? Or maybe I missed something?
    -Mike Kraus
    RV-4 built and sold :-(
    RV-10 built and flying
    KitFox SS7 built and flying and now on amphib floats!

Hi Eddie,

Things can bug us like that some days ...... I remember a few of those

On our build, which is an earlier S7 - not the current one so I am cautious thinking something may not be exactly the same, I don't recall seeing anything in the instructions that indicated the lower horizontal needed to be 100% level. What is important, and it looks like you have been very dilligent at, is getting the lift strut tubes perfectly straight (in both axes) and the the Jury strut correctly oriented with the wing spars.

Assuming you have the lift strut brackets riveted to the spars, any minor washout adjustments you might make with the rod ends is not going to have any measureable affect on the geometry of the horizontal - I don't think that will be an issue.

A quick call to Kitfox, if you have any doubts, would likely clear up any lingering uncertainty.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

🤕 wow.. I've learned something here. Post the question earlier! Having your replies got me to go back and read it all again and I found nowhere that says I need to achieve what I was trying to achieve. I misunderstood a sentence. Thank you guys so much for assisting my reorientation. At least I haven't lost all that much time as I have just been working on other things. Guess I'll drill the holes now. 😀

Yes, I agree with Dave and Mike. The lift struts themselves are the important thing, straight and holding the wing in the proper position. The jury struts are only there to brace the midspan of the lift struts and keep them from bowing or buckling. As long as they do that job and look good to you (vertical and inline front to back) that's all you need.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS