Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Flaperon Rigging Question (Mk2)

Default Re: Flaperon Rigging Question (Mk2)

OK, I know this subject has been tossed around, I'm trying to rig my MK-3, and things are not going to plan. Did all the leveling, have a digital gauge, have set the flaperons with the 1" at the leading spar, but when I try to have any flap more than netural position the vertical push/pull tubes FCT-26 that move the flaperons hit the fuselage when trying to move the flaps down limiting control. Sounds confusing, but with flaps, even 15 degrees from netural, the only thing i can do is fly level, no banking allowed because the flaps cant defelect anymore. also cant fold the wings with flaps set at netural position. I have to go to spolier range to get the wings to fold without hiting. Right now I have about 5 degrees down torward the center on the FBK-9 in relation to the mixer belcrank. Also does the model 3 suppose to have any spoiler range on the flap handle or is it all netural to full flaps. I KNOW , LOTS OF QUESTIONS... Thanks for any input.

You wouldn't really fly with a control issue, right? I'm sure you're talking figuratively.

I don't have any interference between the flaperon controls and the fuselage on my Model III. Could you take a picture with the turtledeck off to show the flaperon connection interference?
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Not flying with bum controls, just trying to explain the anomaly. The first pic is with neutral flaps the second is with about 15 degree flaps. Notice in the center of the photos where the ailerons pushrods hit the frame limiting travel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'll try to take matching pictures of my setup tomorrow for comparison.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Only my two cents, is the angle between the flapperon horn and the flapperon riveted correctly? In the pics it looks like a very steep angle.

I'm thinking you are right about the angle of the flaperon horn. i followed the book which states 1 11/16 to the center hole.looks like it should be 1 inch.. not sure how I'm going to fix this issue yet, its pretty permanent.

Here are the pics from my model III: Flaps Neutral, Flaps fully deployed, side view to show the orientation of the horn to the flaperon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

If it turns out that the control horns are oriented incorrectly I think I would cut them outboard of the flaperon bearing area and have them re-welded in the proper orientation.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

I"m beginning to wonder if I'm using the wrong reference for the flaperons. Just from the pics the angle of the flaperons in relation to the horn look very similar between yours and mine. With full flaps my flap angle looks greater. I'm still confused.

Can you move down the chain and post a picture or two of the mixer & FBK-9 bellcranks?
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med