Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Fire Extinguisher

Default Fire Extinguisher

About to buy one - planning to get the average, small, Halon based extinguisher from a local car parts store. (Yes, read about metallic vs. plastic clamps.)

Any reason I should use something else?

Roberto.

Default Re: Fire Extinguisher

I have always just used small ABC unit from Walmart, as they are cheap and don't use regulated CFC's (but are messy).

Now a word from the manufactures of Halons:

Halons are low-toxicity, chemically stable compounds that have been used for fire and explosion protection from early in the last century. Halon has proven to be an extremely effective fire suppressant. Halon is clean (i.e., leaves no residue) and is remarkably safe for human exposure. Halon is a highly effective agent for firefighting in closed passenger carrying areas. Due to its effectiveness and relatively low toxicity, the FAA continues to recommend or require Halon extinguishers for use on commercial aircraft.

Extensive toxicity evaluations have been compiled by nationally recognized United States medical laboratories and institutions on Halon 1301 and Halon 1211. These evaluations have shown that Halon 1301 and Halon 1211 are two of the safest clean extinguishing agents available. Dual Halon concentrations of about 5% by volume in air are adequate to extinguish fires of most combustible materials. This concentration is equivalent to emptying twelve 2.5 lb.
    units in a closed room of 1000 cubic feet, which would be highly unlikely.

Roger

I was warned to not use ABC around aircraft, as the chemicals are highly corrosive to aluminum. Worth the time to check it out.
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)

Quote Originally Posted by Agfoxflyer View Post
    I was warned to not use ABC around aircraft, as the chemicals are highly corrosive to aluminum. Worth the time to check it out.
    Didn't know of this until today - Definitely off my list.

See http://www.firesure.ie/fire_safety_g...nguishers.html

--------------------
    "Disadvantages

The downside is that they leave a very fine powder residue that will disburse on discharge over a wide area and settle into every nook and cranny, making the clean-up process of small fires more problematical.

The powder residue can cause damage to sensitive electronic equipment such as circuit boards, computers, and production machinery, etc. The ammonium phosphate within the extinguishing agent can undergo hydrolysis to form phosphoric acid which is extremely corrosive to ferrous metal and alloys and may also attack some plastics, rubber and coatings. Every particle of this powder will potentially cause damage to such equipment and machinery, and therefore every particle must be removed during the clean-up process. As this is impossible to achieve in practice, its use should be avoided in such environments."
    --------------------

Roberto.

Aluminum? What Aluminum? It's a kitfox !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rogerh12 View Post

Aluminum? What Aluminum? It's a kitfox !!!!

Hopefully you don look under the cowling and see that big fan motor made of aluminum

"Aluminum? What Aluminum? It's a kitfox !!!! "

Lot's of aluminum in my Kitfox. Panel, console, console sides, various brackets, etc. Of course if the fire is real bad, not going to make much difference what kind of extinguisher you use.
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)