Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adding Bling - buffing the gear

Default Re: Adding Bling - buffing the gear

This article may help you out John
    http://www.russellw.com/planes/ryan/polishing.htm

I used an air sander and 400 grit wet/dry paper, then I went to 600 grit and got all the swirls out of the gear. Then I used Flitz Aluminum polish to get the shine.Probably put about 10+ hours behind the air sander and about 4 hours with the Flitz.Without some power tools the job would be a killer.

Quote Originally Posted by Peteohms View Post
    I have discovered is that when each of those bugs smash against my landing gear, wings and prop the deposits become tiny vortex generators. This smooths the air over all the surfaces of your plane, reducing drag and increasing your airspeed. I suspect that the minute scratches have the same effect. The moral of the story is don't wash and NEVER polish.

Would I lie?
    Is those Call ''V Beez'' vortex generator kits!!!

I used the Nuvite polishing compounds to bring my gear up to a high gloss. I have extra and would share some if you want. It is dirty, but not very abrasive and will give your gear that high gloss shine that we all admire. Just let me know.... I have about four different levels that will take you from dull to highly polished.....
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

I will probably use Nuvite to polish my gear in spite of the fact that, after 20 years playing tuba in The U. S. Army Band, I promised myself that I would never again polish large metal objects.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Waid View Post
    I will probably use Nuvite to polish my gear in spite of the fact that, after 20 years playing tuba in The U. S. Army Band, I promised myself that I would never again polish large metal objects.
    LoL Tom, I polished an entire airplane once and promised the same. But then again, the main gear is so small in comparison. It only took about 1.5 hours....
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

War Eagle's tip of starting with 400 then going to 600 did the trick. The 600 was just too fine to take the tiny circles out of the surface. The 400 grit was aggressive enough to get the job done and then proceed to 600. The final buffing made the surface of the gear pop and shine!

I've only finished the bottom side. It took about 15 minutes. I now know I'm on the right track. Thanks for the tip as buffing is definitely not an area of expertise for me.

Now if we can just come up with a method to keep clean while doing a messy job. I covered up as much as I could. Everything turn's black from the aluminum slurry but with disposable clothing I stayed pretty clean underneath.

In the end, I'd say the effort is worth it. The gear shines like the one on the cover of AOPA pilot. I don't care that it is a recurrent maintenance item as the re-shine can't be nearly as hard as the initial buffing and it's a good rainy day project. I dont' have to remove the sanding circles on the reshine... just buff it back up.

My tools consisted of the Makita Sander Polisher with variable speed 0-2800 RPM. A 3M 12 inch double sided buffing pad. A Porter Cable DA sander with 400 wet/dry discs. 3M medium and fine buffing compound finish restorer, tyvek painters coveralls, latex gloves and a Sears face shield.

Tomorrow I will turn the gear over and do the other side.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, TX

hi guys, found this product for getting the shine on the gear after sanding and buffing. works great and is easy to use.
    got the dar. coming tomorrow for inspection on 92mh. hope to get the first flite in tomorrow afternoon, will post some pic,s after
    the site for the polish is at "california custom products"

I polished the gear on my 7 about 2 months ago. Took about 10 hrs. I started with 320 grit and a ramdon orbital sander, then wet sanded with 400, then 1400. Then polished with mothers mag and aluminum wheel polish using mothers tapered wheel polishing kit. All mothers products are available at most auto parts stores. Hope this helps. Darrell