Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Put throttle to the left side

Default Re: Put throttle to the left side

When I was getting ready to fly my plane for the first time, I got time in a taildragger with left throttle (10 hours), went next to a Kitfox with normal right throttle. Later days before first flight got two hours in a tailwheel plane with left throttle. Then I flew my Kitfox for first flight.I found it only took a few minutes to get use to where the throttle is located. And I'm not especially co ordinated, just your average guy. Same going from stick to yoke and back.
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)

Everyone has their own personal preference for stick and throttle position.
    Sometimes you just have to fly with the controls you get. It is not uncommon for instructors and check pilots to fly right seat in the morning and the left seat in the afternoon.

When I laid out my Kitfox instrument panel, I made some accommodation for right seat pilots. The flight instruments are in the center of the panel… equally visible from either seat. Throttle, mixture and carb heat are in the middle. Simple installation, easy to fly.

Mount your throttle where you like. If you are thinking of dual throttles, it's a bit of a headache in a Kitfox. Your mechanism must be able to withstand the forces of one pilot pushing and the other pulling. It WILL happen.

John Pitkin

Quote Originally Posted by jtpitkin06 View Post
    Mount your throttle where you like.
    This is what I was referring to regarding something like the torque tube on the rudder pedals. If you want the throttles on both sides - or middle for the right seated pilot, they will have to be connected in a way that when your throttle is moved, it will also move the throttle on the other side. Thinking about it, what I would do is use a two throttles like the bell crank IV style with very stiff wire going to a bell crank extending across to where you want the second throttle. Can be done, but again, much easier if welding is in your skill set.
    Lowell