Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Anyone built a bobber style Kitfox yet?

Default Anyone built a bobber style Kitfox yet?

Zlin is selling what they call a Savage bobber plane with no fabric on the fuselage and no doors. I don't know why but I think it is a cool look.

Has anyone done a kitfox with no fabric on the fuselage?

Default Re: Anyone built a bobber style Kitfox yet?

It does look kinda cool, but I'd say your ability to be seen by other aircraft is probably cut in half. I'd also suspect yaw stability would be impacted adversely.
    Last edited by szicree; 04-02-2012 at 05:04 PM.

Bet that one don't slip to well. Looks awful light though.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

You also lose some strength without the stressed skin of the fabric; just ask an engineer who designs box structures.

Jim

That model has the option for a zip-on fabric kit to enclose the cabin. I've flown the Savage Classic and Cub and they are superb performers with 100hp. The Bopper comes with the 80hp Rotax and has impressive crosswind capability..lol. Who'll be the first in North America to own one? Savage sales have been flat here for a long time.

Kinda like my friend an electrician by trade who is an amateur builder. "Don't pay to much attention to that, it will be covered anyway. I can only imagine the attention to detail in all the wiring, plumbing, etc. if it is out there for all to see. I wonder how much time would actually be saved in the construction. I do see the weight saving, but the drag would be enormous and it would affect every aspect of flight - takeoff run, climb, cruise - everything but possibly landing distance. Definitely eye catching, though, and it would be a people magnet on the ground.
    Lowell