Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Gascolator and filter

Default Re: Gascolator and filter

Not much info on the purelator type inline filters. I do have a replacement element but there was no info on the packaging. I did look at it with 14X magnification. It looks very much like nylon mesh fabric as the filtering medium. A rough estimate - the pore size is pretty close to a couple of strands of hair width. I used my wife's hair as I couldn't find any of my own I could spare. Then I thought of something else. I scanned the filter at 1000 dpi and it looks like the pore size is something like .003 inches based on three pixels per. For my airplane, I don't worry about ethanol and the filter element or water, for that matter.
    Lowell

You mean you don't use auto fuel with ethanol in the first place or that it hasn't been a problem?

Sorry about the confusion. I had no issues with ethanol while I was flying my first airplane. It had the purelator filters for the entire 900 hours, with ethanol for the last three hundred or so. My concern now is with the new ca. 1992 kreemed tanks I now have on my new project. I think I will use avgas until I start flying as I don't want the ethanol laced fuel just sitting there while I get the last few things tied up. I plan on an engine start in the next week or so, but probably won't fly until late April or early May. The plan then is to use auto gas as it will be topped up regularly and be kept fresh.
    Lowell