Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Wheel Bearings and nose gear

Default Wheel Bearings and nose gear

Got a couple maintenance questions for the group.

Just getting into my condition inspection this weekend.

How often do people clean and re-pack main gear wheel bearings? I am thinking they should last quite a while between cleaning/re-packing since they don't accumulate many miles.

Also - for those with the Trigear - - how often do you disassemble and clean up the fork pivot parts (washers and bushings)?

Thanks for you ideas.

Sincerely,

Dave S

KF 7 Trigear

912 ULS Warp Drive

Default Re: Wheel Bearings and nose gear

personally I clean and repack the bearings during each annual for the landing gear,.. I check the seals at the same time for the bearings,..bleed the brakes and run the calipers thru the complete cycle,..sometimes a ridge will form which can make the calipers stick,..if I feel any drag,..I disassemble the caliper and clean up the cylinder,.again checking the seals on that as well when it's apart
    Last edited by SkyPirate; 09-04-2011 at 11:34 PM.

G`morning All
    Doing the annual on my Vixen now and I notice there is about 1/2" of "free space" at the top of the nose gear piston when the a/c is sitting normally.Is this as it should be, or are the "elastomer springs (rubber doughnuts) worn out. I can`t remember if this free play was there last year. Total time on a/c is 350 hours.
    I also repack wheel bearings at annual time.
    Thanks for your comments.
    Don

Hi Don,

I think what you are looking at with the free space is about normal. We have 170 Hrs and the space you speak of is about the same. With the plane on the ground there is going to be some compression of the elastomer springs. You could take a look at it with someone holding the tail down to get the pressure off the nose wheel and I would guess the space will disappear if everything is right.

The plane should be essentially level when sitting on the wheels - on the other hand - if it had a real noticeable nose down attitude - then I would look into a problem.

I would check to be sure the little rebound bumper under the bolt and the same size as the washer on top of the stack hasn't broken away.

Sincerely,

Dave S

At 200 hrs mine is in the same condition.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Thanks fellows, it was probably the same last year, just could not remember. NOW if I could just get the "scream" out of my radio when I use the PTT. All was well for some time but the last flight it came back again and really has me baffled. I find radio issues really frustrating!
    Cheers
    Don