Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Insurance for Kit

Default Re: Insurance for Kit

Paul's experience mirrors mine. My take on it is that EAA is pretty much required to help its members find insurance even for the more uncommon airplanes - even the one off amateur designs. Their risk pool is much higher and the costs are spread around (not to mention that EAA has become a money making machine and they most certainly get a major cut. Falcon has been insuring Kitfoxes for years and has real data to determine their rates. As a side note, we had AIG, (the much maligned insurance company in financial collapse discussions) through Falcon. It would take another page to describe the totally amazing way thay handled our claim when we went down. It was a positive experience that still amazes.
    Lowell

I'd like to second Lowell's comment...

[ Falcon has been insuring Kitfoxes for years and has real data to determine their rates. ]

When I called Falcon for information on insurance the conversation went something like this:

"What kind of plane do you have? - A kitfox - "Great"

"What engine?" - A Rotax 912 - "Great"

"What configuration?" - Nosewheel - " Great" - How soon can we sign you up?

Basically the Kitfox is one of the more insurable experimentals out there; and, Falcon both has experience and respects the Aircraft.

Dave S

Quote Originally Posted by DBVZ View Post
    Are you talking about insurance of the kit while it is under construction, for like theft and fire?

Or aircraft insurance for the Kitfox aircraft?

As a hobby project in your garage, I expect that the home owner insurance is likely to be cheap or already covered under "contents" unless excluded. If they are giving you trouble you may need a new HO insurer. For the aircraft, call a broker. I have Chartis insurance now for my situation, but a broker may find a company that fits your situation best.
    Sorry about the mis-information I posted. I checked, and the HO I have says if it is designed to fly people it is not a "hobby" aircraft, even as a kit. If it is a big RC plane, it is a hobby and covered as contents.

I also have Falcon as broker, and they like the Avid fine too. They found a couple sources for coverage, with different requirements. Some give different discounts, require more or less dual, etc. I may need to change the company next year, but not the broker. They declined to add my son as a student for Sport Pilot. When I got the insurance I was not aware my son would be interested enough to want a pilot cert.
    Last edited by DBVZ; 03-16-2012 at 10:47 AM.
    Dwight B. Van Zanen
    Maple Valley, WA and
    West Columbia, SC
    PP/ASEL/IA
    Avid Mk 4 Aerobat