Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Spinner

Default Spinner

I'm looking for an 8 inch diameter spinner that will fit a GT 2 blade wood prop on a Jabiru 2200. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Spinner

Are you sure you want to use a spinner?

I stopped using spinners on my slower planes, as there only advantage was that they speed the plane up about 2 mph. However, they had several important disadvantages:

1) They just seem to get in the way during maintenance, and made inspections harder
    2) Was just something else to go wrong (cracks, breaks off in flight and whack the prop)
    3) Reduced cooling air to my engine in the summer, causing high oil temperatures.
    4) Took extra work to fit, inspect and maintain.

High reving engines break spinners more easily, as they were designed for lower reving engines in most cases. I reinforced my spinner with aluminum welding, after my first one cracked at the prop-cutout. Then I just stopped putting it on altogether and didn’t miss it at all.

Roger