Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Classic to Spring gear improvements ?

Default Re: Classic to Spring gear improvements ?

I don't know about that needing all new brakes and wheels. I have the Grove gear and used my old stuff. I've landed in some real narly stuff and the Grove takes a beating and keeps on tickn' real glad I have the Grove.
    I believe they have an axle that keeps all your old wheels and brakes.

I few times I've landed where I went into a 3 point and had a drop out. must have dropped a good 5 feet. The grove held up nicely, I didn't bounce, just flopped onto the runway, or grass. Would have broke the bungies if I had them. I call that my full stall landing.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Just one question to confirm my future choice:

The part that absorb the impact seem to be springs or spacers in rubber or something else, what is the principle ? And is there an overhaul for that ?

The springs absorb the landing shock. They are very stout ! It is a very simple system with sliding tubes and the springs. I now have spring covers over the springs to prevent dirt accumulation,etc. They are similiar to a cub but a much tighter fit using Velcro as fasteners.
    Also when I was shopping for a replacement gear I called Grove and they told me I would have to change my axles and go to the 6 inch wheels & different brakes. Perhaps they have changed that option.
    In any event I am very happy with my gear selection and it does give the airplane a classic look (ala: Monocoupe)
    If your plans are to take your airplane into really rough "bush" (rocks,etc) I would probably opt for the Grove gear. There is not much to break on that gear (just bend) other than the support tubes on the botton of the aircraft (and your butt)
    The "bush gear" is plenty strong but I wouldn't put it up against the Grove in a crashing contest.
    You can contact Highwing LLC and talk to Lowell Fitt for more info. He has a wesite.
    Also John McBean at Kitfox produces a "bush gear" He didn't have it at the time I bought mine.
    Hope this helps
    Dick

Thanks for all your answers, i'll study that....with my bank

Can I use my old Wheel Pants from the original gear with the HIgh Wing Gear??

TUNA