Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Horizontal/Elevator paint

Default Horizontal/Elevator paint

The previous owner of my kit had completed the horizontal and elevator long ago. All of this work needs to be redone.

I spent a couple of hours heating and removing the Hysol and this is what I'm left with. It looks like the previous owner sanded down to bare metal in several places prior to fitting the ribs. There was a bit of rust but minimal.

I'm thinking I might just have both the horizontal and elevator re powder coated before rebuilding but I wanted to get some forum input first. Is it necessary to re-do the powder coat? I'm just don't think the new Hysol will cover all of the exposed metal.

Thanks for the input.

IMG_2143small.jpg

IMG_2144small.jpg

IMG_2146small.jpg
    Jeff

Default Re: Horizontal/Elevator paint

I've welded in the trim tab on several elevators including mine, that were factory powdercoated. I sprayed the bare parts with a two part primer. If I felt the absence of the thickness of the powdercoat would show through the fabric, I used some micro (epoxy with microballoons - like a light weight easy to sand bondo) to bring the bare surface up to even with the powdercoat.

Default Re: Horizontal/Elevator paint

Thanks for the advice Highwing... I decided to use Stewart's Systems EkoPrime followed by 2 part black EkoPoly.

I applied everything with a foam brush since it will all get covered anyway. I must say though, that the finish turned out rock hard and very smooth. Stewart's says on the directions that no thinning is required for brushing. It seemed very thick without the distilled water but I did a small test area with good results and ended up doing all areas un-thinned. Very happy with the results.

I used the excess to touch up some spots on the frame with great results also. Just dabbed it on with a foam brush and it settled down with a smooth and glossy finish when dry.

All in all, my first impression of the Stewart's products is very good.
    Jeff