Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Reinforce Rudder Pedals & Powder Paint

Default Reinforce Rudder Pedals & Powder Paint

I plan to remove the rudder pedals in my Kitfox III and install the reinforcement kit I got from the Kitfox people. I ultimately want to powder paint the whole thing.

Should I powder paint the parts first then assemble them or have the whole thing painted afterwards?
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove

Default Re: Reinforce Rudder Pedals & Powder Paint

pete , kind of depends on how your going to install your kit . to weld it on , youll have to remove the original powder coat anyway . kitfox surely knows what they are doing but to me i dont think id want to drill holes for pop rivets in something thats likely to break or bend without the holes . my gussets are welded on and sprayed black with a rattle can . looks good from where i set . if its a show plane , then i can understand wanting it to look as good as possible . thats not my case , i just want to fly it as much as possible before time runs out for either the plane or me .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Default Re: Reinforce Rudder Pedals & Powder Paint

Agree. Thought about riveting mine but ended up welding so as not to compromise the structure with holes. The $3 slow curing alkyd spray paint from the local hardware store looks like powder coat and is easy enough to touch up as necessary.

Chris Carlisle
    Model II, 582
    Sioux Falls, SD