Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Close Out

Default Close Out

I have a question that I believe applies to most. What did you do to close out the gap between the butt rib and the turtle deck from about the rear spar to the trailing edge of the wing? I am building a SS7 and the manual has no info on this. I look at all the pics of the finished aircraft, but cannot gleen any details of this area. Pics or info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dick B

Default Re: Close Out

Odd that you don't find it in the manual, in mine it calls out a pair of AL wing strakes that can be attached to the turtle deck and close out that gap. I have not put them on yet and don't know if they are included with the lexan TD (mine had the AL framed TD but I upgraded).
    Last edited by Dorsal; 01-14-2011 at 09:06 AM.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

These are usually supplied in the kit and mine on my V are 23" long and 4" wide, and they have about a 3/4" 90 degree bend which is what attaches to the turtle deck. They are shaped like a shallow triangle with one corner cut off. Hope this helps.

Hi Dick,

Here is a photo of the Turtle deck on our S7 showing the strakes on each side of the turtledeck used to fill in the space to the wing out to the trailing edge. On the photo - you should be able to see the seam where the strake is riveted to the side of the turtledeck by the 3/4 inch bend Bryan was talking about. This is for the aluminum frame turtledeck.

Now - if you happen to have the one piece plexi turtledeck which has been available the last 2 years, - I am not sure strakes are normally used and I think the space is often left open for these.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear
    Attached Images Attached Images