Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Here we go.....

Default Here we go.....

I'm now down off the fence; no turning back. I just ordered a Super Sport kit.
    So now I need to get ready before parts arrive in April or so.
    This leads to a question for all: What are folks doing/done as far as build logs?
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Default Re: Here we go.....

Congratulations!!
    On build logs; just took a lot of pictures and signed off on the pages in the build manual. I did not keep track of hours or keep a separate log.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Gary, happy Kitfox kit buying day.
    Congrats.
    You just made lots of folks jealous.

Far as the build log, take lots of photos through the process. My DAR liked the photo album especially showing me doing the work. I used the manual for documenting what date I finished a step in the build. Others keep quite an extensive diary of dates, hours on each step ect. or websites showing progress. I just wish I'd taken more photos.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Hi Gary,
    Congratulations on taking the plunge. You are going to enjoy that plane both in the build I'm sure and certainly in the air. I have often wondered why the Kitfox folks dont have more build sites. I know many of our members are tied into the Van's club in one way or another and there are more build sites of RV's than you can shake a stick at. I would like to see more done on Kitfoxes.

I can tell you that keeping the documentation of a web site takes a bit of time as I have tried to keep mine going over the last few years. http://www.azshowersolutions.com/Build1.html
    You can see it is not really current as I have discovered that the Yahoo Sitebuilder that I use does not interface well with Windows 7 ...so I have been somewhat locked out for a few months.

If you are thinking of taking on a build site, I know many folks that follow you in building the Super Sport would be happy to have a place to look. The addage that a picture is worth a thousand words rings true when it comes to being stumped during the build. Shure does aleviate the head-scratchin down the line a bit.
    Best Wishes and welcome
    Dan
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

when i acquired my kit i was the fourth owner . luckily the previous owners took lots of pictures and also kept a written log . these really came in handy for me to finish up the construction . i did continue with the written log and have been glad i did . i have even continued to keep up the log after i received the airworthiness cert as an addition to the ship and engine log . all the pictures i took are on a disk but the previous owners had hundreds of real pictures on paper . its amazing how useful the pictures are , even after your build is completed . seems the builders log is more to prove to the dar that you actually built the plane and didnt hire someone to build it for you .
    have fun building but they are more fun after they fly .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Hi Gary,

I used KitLog Pro's software to document the build of my Kitfox Sport. It was real easy to input the work performed and up to three photos per input. The DAR was very pleased with the KitLog documentation of my build.

Scott Miller
    Kitfox Sport

Link to my Kitfox build. http://www.mykitlog.com/kitfoxpilot

Thanks Scott. I looked at their web site and some of the postings. I like that the core data is on your own computer, rather than stored out on the web.
    Regarding the web, do you just post to the web if/when you're so inclined? And upon subsequent posts to the web, does the software recognize the updates and just post that, or is it more involved than that?
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Thumbs up Re: Here we go.....

Hi Gary,

Congrats on your new adventure.

What will guide you best on the log is to remember what it is for.

1) Prove to the FAA that you built the plane so you can get your certificate for the plane.

2) Prove to the FAA that that you built the plane so you can get your repairman's certificate.

3) Prove to your friends & family that you built the plane - but that has nothing to do with the aircraft certificate or your repairman's certificate.

4) Prove to yourself that you built the plane. Might sound like an obvious deal - but - the record really helps a person's motivation by showing the progress when you have a slow day and mistakenly think things are not going well - when you git 'er done, and do the first flight - you can say - holy crap I did it! Something that very few people in this world accomplish - really a thing to be proud of.

Several items - for ideas already mentioned by others, just reinforcing things.

1) Photos are great - the DAR and the FAA like photos showing you building on the plane. That supports the fact that you built it. Organize the photos - that means documenting when/what/who and in some order. A shoebox is not the way to go Every builder I know mentioned that the DAR liked photos with the builder in the photo with their hands on the parts doing the building.

2) The kit comes with a build manual that provides a place to document when you did what - great idea to be liberal with your builder's comments in the margins and white spaces in the manual - when you do something not in the manual - there is nothing wrong with writing in your activity - date and sign off on the page. A build manual full up with the builder's notes is good documentation of what you did. Again - document when/what/who - the manual organizes the what for you - you gotta do the who and when. Put it this way - a build manual free of any of the builder's comments/notes is as convincing as a skinny cook or a mechanic wearing a white shirt and tie in the shop. The manual orders the build by components - fuse/wings/tail/final assembly ect. but it is not chronological.

3) For a chronological record - a person can use a notebook - I used up two spiral wound steno pads and that worked quite well. Dates can be cross referenced to the build manual.

When it came time for the inspection - 1 photo album, 2 build manual and 3 chrono notes were laid out by the 4 plane - all 4 in agreement - thumbs up.

Website and stuff like that - if a person can do it it is a great way share with other builders.

Sincerely

Dave S

KF 7 Trigear
    St Paul, Minnesnowta

Congratulations Gary, I received my super sport kit in march 2010. I have almost 600 hours invested, and am having a ball. I try to get in 20 hours or more a week. I tell people if I wanted a 40 hr week job I would go find one. I retired about 4 years ago and was getting bored. I am building in my 25X35 shop behind my house, so I go to work when I want, and quit when I want. Have fun, and don't get discouraged. Darrell