Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 912 Winter Operation

Default Re: 912 Winter Operation

I bought these shutters from HighwingLLC and they also help to control the temp. Control of the shutters is done by the two knobs on the instrument panel.
    Dick Maddux
    Milton,Fl
    Attached Images Attached Images

Smile Re: 912 Winter Operation

Well today I had a chance to try out my new "sliding shutters" as suggested by Chuck (cap01). I installed mine on the rad though, and still use tape on the oil cooler because it is so easy to get at. It was -7 degrees C with a fairly low ceiling so I just stayed in the circuit.
    With the slider fully closed ( I adjusted it to always leave small openings)the water temps stayed steady at 180F and oil at 200F. Even throttling back for landing the temps maintained constant. With these results I should be able to leave this assembly in place til the hot summer (plus 30C) July temps. All in all I believe this to be a success. The next time I have the cowl off I could post a pic if anyone is interested.

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Hi, Don glad to hear your shutter worked . I didn't really have a bunch of temp problems in the circuit, my cool temps happen in about 30 minutes of cruising, -15 C at 52-5300 rpm . having the rads closed off has got to make a difference! Kevin

My plan is to use the following shutter, quick, easy simple to install. I don't have to design it!
    http://www.highwingllc.com/oilcoolershutters.html
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Hi Paul

I don`t have enough clearance between the oil cooler and the cowling or the prop on my smooth cowl Vixen to use that type of shutter. I suppose with some serious modification it would work but I find the tape on the oil cooler is fine. I was going to install it on the rad, but Chuck`s idea seems to work well.
    Good luck

Don