Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: seeking performance info

Default seeking performance info

Can any one give me some performance info on a 7ss
    With two people and fuel ...rate of climb speeds etc..
    I know performance will verry with engines and options.
    I spoke to a guy with a poor attitude on the kit fox.
    He seams to think on a good day with two people and fuel you might get 300fpm ..
    With 80hp.

Default Re: seeking performance info

My 7 climbs just under ~800 ft/min with 360 lbs of people/cargo with full fuel. Cruise for me is 112mph at 5400 rpm on a 912S. Climb can be improved by using an in flight adjustable prop and my cruise is without wheel pants or strut fairings. You will see numbers from folks like CDE2Fly who have both an IFA prop and fairings getting better than 120 mph. I just spent the day putting fairings on and expect ~10 mph gain in cruise.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Wink Re: seeking performance info

Hello Foxguy

I have a Model 5 Vixen smooth cowl with the 912UL (80HP). In the cooler temps now solo with about 1/2 fuel I regularly see 1100 FPM. 900 to 1000 no problem.
    I have the IVO 70" Patriot IFA and it made the world of difference.

High cruise (5400/5500 RPM) 118 indicated MPH. With the old prop it was a 97 MPH machine!!!

Also much smoother running especially at higher RPM`s.

It weighs just over 800 LBs dry.

Cheers

Don

With 80hp in a 7, full of fuel and two-up he's probably not far wrong, especially at altitude or on a hot day. However, most 7's are powered by the 912s and climb rate is a fair bit better with the extra 20 hp.

My 5 Safari (smooth cowl, wheel pants and strut fairings) has a 912s and the following is how she performs near sea level and at circa 20 degrees C:

Full fuel, one-up = 1500 fpm
    Full fuel, two-up = 1000 fpm
    Cruise @ 5,000 rpm = 115 mph

Whilst she is a 5 and not a 7, I can't believe the data can be hugely different. I would say the advice you have been given by the guy you spoke with is slightly on the negative side if anything.

Thanks guys ..
    It seems like Pilots in Alaska are so blinded by the supper cub that there's no room for anything but.
    I spoke with a pa18 pilot with a 180hp ..he told me it was a gas gusler and after a few hrs of flying hes worn out.
    Guy

Hey Guy,
    I'm sure you have heard this (or thought it) already, but if you are trying to make a decision on the performance of a certain plane or type...find someone that will take you for a ride. If you have trouble finding someone in your area, give John McBean a call and he will make it happen.
    It sounds like you have an interest in how well the plane performs given high density altitude. My story was somewhat similar here in the hot desert of AZ. Many folks said how well the Kitfox performed, however, when I got that ride on a hot summers day...the rest is history and I never looked back.
    Best wishes on your quest.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ