Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tail Dragger or Tricycle?

Default Re: Tail Dragger or Tricycle?

Surely the whole Kitfox "thing" is based around a rugged taildragger. Isn't the nosewheel thing a "watering down" of what the Kitfox is about?
    Probably market pressures dictated this option more than fear of offending "real" pilots or those wanting to protect purity of original design. If asked I'm betting Dan Denney ( not a bad marketing pro) would tell you about hundreds of requests for a tri-gear version of the design. Opening up a market for all those newly trained pilots who wanted to experience the fun of building and the joy of flight in a high performance low cost aircraft like the Kitfox but wanted nothing to do with the tail wheel version made economic sense. No different than Dick V. of Vans Aircraft. Just exposing his company to a larger customer base therefore insuring a better chance at success and longevity. In other words, if Dan wasn't hung up on it maybe we could move on too.

NOTICE TO ALL:
    We don't practice wheel envy or prejudice at TeamKitfox.com. All gear configurations are welcome. If you want 5 or 6 wheels on your Kitfox you're welcome to play in this sandbox. If you don't want any wheels you're still welcome although I'm not sure how you'll push it out of the hangar.

First Factory Tri-Gear. Vixen Model 4. Beautiful Kitfox.
    user141_pic91_1220761790.jpg

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Surely the whole Kitfox "thing" is based around a rugged taildragger. Isn't the nosewheel thing a "watering down" of what the Kitfox is about?

If you all actually remember, the original Avid Flyer (the plane that was copied to make the Kitfoxes we all know and love) designed by Dean Wilson back in '82 was a Tricycle geared plane.

So-- The training wheel on the nose actually came first...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Av8r3400; 09-15-2010 at 06:26 PM.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Av8r3400 . Thanks for the great photo.
    Hmmm. It all started as a rugged nose gear aircraft. How about that.
    I'm all of a sudden feeling quite good about myself. Head held higher, self esteem growing in leaps and bounds.

Oops. I found the following quote in a previous reply. Not sure who posted it.
    NOTICE TO ALL:
    We don't practice wheel envy or prejudice at TeamKitfox.com. All gear configurations are welcome.
    Self esteem evaporating quickly, head held low in reverence again.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Gentlemen, I was only kidding really! It's a case of each to their own but some polite banter is always a good thing!